y Silkie is Gurgling!

Sylvestor12

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
My silkie rooster has been gurgling when he breathes recently. I don't know if it will go away or get worse! When he crows it's shorter and it's making his call sound like a rooster's first tries on crowing. He's killing me with his broken crow
roll.png

Could be related to the heat, could also be a fungal infection this time of year. Could be contagious, but if he is sounding like a coffee pot deep in his lungs, but the eyes and nose are clear and he acts fine otherwise, I'd say maybe fungal. Can't be 100% sure on the internet.

This thread details how to handle fungal infections in chickens (NOT with antibiotics):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=560301

I have one rooster who has issues with high heat/humidity and will gurgle in his throat, after a serious fungal lung infection last summer. He turns dark and can't breathe at all for a few seconds. His crow gets very weak, too.

Thnk you but I was wondering what the doses were for the Oxine AH and the routine like if you mist him for 1 minute and then give him 10 minutes of no-mist air or 10 minutes of breathing the mist and 1 hour of no-mist air?

I used 6 tablespoons in a full cool mist vaporizer (can't be a steam one). Mist for 10 minutes, 3 times per day. At least, that is what I did, since I don't own one of those expensive foggers. I put the birds in a dog kennel and placed the vaporizer two or three feet away with the nozzle pointed at them.

Also, again, do not use the citric acid activator with this! That is for intense cleaning, not for misting the birds.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how to do it effectively with a spray bottle, sorry. Some things have to be done a certain way--even using a cool mist vaporizer is improvising. Remember, I don't know for sure what is wrong with this bird. This is only if it's determined that he has something fungal in nature.

Oxine AH can be bought through Amazon.com, but they go through Revival Animal Health so you can go direct to their site. There are some other places that carry it now. Just do a search for it on the web. If you can get less than a gallon, that will save the shipping costs. You can't buy it locally anywhere that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom