Yellow chest feathers?

DuckandChickenMom

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2022
Hi y’all! I have a Silver Applegate who twice now has lost a bunch of her chest feathers, ending up with these yellow looking ones. The first time, her white feathers came back only for her to lose them again. She’s only 3 months old. Is this normal, should I be concerned?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 8FA89EED-BE39-4780-BB56-8D352E7DD17D.jpeg
    8FA89EED-BE39-4780-BB56-8D352E7DD17D.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 12
My pekins are always creamier than my sons that are pure white. Different feed. I imagine my purina duck food has more corn than my son's organic layer pellets. We have swapped drakes for a few months and it takes 2 months for them to change.

My pekins are always creamier than my sons that are pure white. Different feed. I imagine my purina duck food has more corn than my son's organic layer pellets. We have swapped drakes for a few months and it takes 2 months for them to change.
that's really interesting!! Id say my girls are quite cream coloured....or mud coloured, depends on the time of day.

Hi y’all! I have a Silver Applegate who twice now has lost a bunch of her chest feathers, ending up with these yellow looking ones. The first time, her white feathers came back only for her to lose them again. She’s only 3 months old. Is this normal, should I be concerned?
Thank you!
She's gorgeous! So pretty.
When you say "lost a bunch of chest feathers", do you mean in moult? Or something different? Babies lose their down feathers for teenage feathers, then teenage feathers for adult feathers-- and at this time of year, they may moult a little during fall, (not so much when young, the proper moult will be next year.)

Her feathers look okay to me, I dont think you have anything to worry about :)

She's gorgeous! So pretty.
When you say "lost a bunch of chest feathers", do you mean in moult? Or something different? Babies lose their down feathers for teenage feathers, then teenage feathers for adult feathers-- and at this time of year, they may moult a little during fall, (not so much when young, the proper moult will be next year.)

Her feathers look okay to me, I dont think you have anything to worry about :)

Hi! At first I thought it might be molt, but then I googled the age a duck first molts and it said a duck could molt at 10 weeks, except she was only 8 at that time. Then as soon as those feather grew back, she immediately lost them again and doesn’t seem to be regrowing them this time.
I also noticed today that her cheeks have what look like yellow staining on them, near her bill area.
I’m a worry wart and it’s probably nothing, but also figure it’s better safe than sorry! Lol

Back
Top Bottom