Yellow diarrhea, not eating, lethargic - help!

Honeybloomchick

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2023
Hello! I need help. My chicken has been distancing herself from my flock for a few days and then I watched her poop what looked like egg yolk with a fleshy mass in it. I’ve isolated her for a few days since then. She has eaten a very small amount and has drank very little water. I was able to get her to eat some scrambled eggs yesterday but she wasn’t interested today. Her poops continue to be yellow, translucent liquid with fleshy masses in them. She had a few brown poops that look like they may have blood in them, or maybe more if the fleshy substance, but they are fairly dry so it’s hard to tell. Her crop has remained full since I brought her in and her abdomen feels puffy. I removed her food this afternoon and will check it again in the morning. Her vent is clean. My flock free ranges during the day in our horse pasture and I have not wormed them since I got them in July. The flock started laying about two weeks ago and I’m not sure if she ever started or not. She has not laid since being in isolation. I found some soft deformed egg shells on the poop board, but no yolks. I have no way to tell if they belonged to her. Her comb is still nice and red but her tail is droopy most of the time. I feel like her symptoms are so varied, I’m not sure what direction to go to treat her. Worms? Egg yolk peritonitis? Egg bound? Impacted crop? Blackhead? E.coli? I’m so confused. I’ve reached out to all of the vets in our area and none will see chickens. Can anyone help me pinpoint what is going on and how to help her? Or where to start to begin eliminating possible causes.
Advice is SO appreciated. I feel so helpless and would rather cull than have her suffer if she is not treatable. Also concerned for the rest of my flock. Thank you in advance!
388A5224-8A1F-40AE-AA7F-2DC8ECB37D5C.jpeg
396BAC39-8AE6-4907-ADF9-8E3898499D3E.jpeg
5B3CA305-DF32-4CF5-B75C-4CFCD2E6D5A9.jpeg

Checked her out this morning after withdrawing food from her last night. Her crop is still full and feels “smushy”, her keel feels very sharp. I opened her mouth and her breath is bad. I think I will treat for sour/impacted crop first and then add in the calcium and antibiotics once I’ve gotten things moving. Does that sound like the correct order of operations?

So I had to order antibiotics online and they haven't come yet, so we never went that direction, but I have been treating for sour/impacted crop and we had a breakthrough this morning! I gave olive oil and massaged her crop several times yesterday and last night She pooped out a long stringy hard poop, followed by a massive blowout all over the wall of my chicken hospital. She seems like herself this morning. Drinking a lot, her crop is empty. I gave her some plain yogurt and a little bit of scrambled egg. I’m going to monitor her for a few days to make sure that her poops normalize and slowly reintroduce food. It looks like she had a wad of hay blocking her digestive tract. I will also check that there are no more fleshy masses in her poop and maybe try to send in a poop sample to make sure she doesn’t have parasites. I will update if she regresses or we find some sort of reproductive issue.

I can’t thank everyone enough for the help. It is so hard to feel like you can’t help your bird.
And everyone who replied gave me more hope and confidence I could help her.
@Razzlefrazzle @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

The yellow material and red may be from a reproductive disorder. I would be tempted to give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D daily for the next few days. Also if you have an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin, I would treat her for infection. Does she feel like eating and drinking?

Checked her out this morning after withdrawing food from her last night. Her crop is still full and feels “smushy”, her keel feels very sharp. I opened her mouth and her breath is bad. I think I will treat for sour/impacted crop first and then add in the calcium and antibiotics once I’ve gotten things moving. Does that sound like the correct order of operations?
I agree, with @Eggcessive that she may have a reproductive disorder. It looks like she may have expelled some lash material.

A crop that is not emptying will turn sour, so this is likely what's causing the bad breath.
Crop problems often go hand in hand with reproductive disorders, so address symptoms as they arise. Hopefully the antibiotics will be helpful, but you'll still want to work on the crop too. The article linked below outlines the treatment for the crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

So I had to order antibiotics online and they haven't come yet, so we never went that direction, but I have been treating for sour/impacted crop and we had a breakthrough this morning! I gave olive oil and massaged her crop several times yesterday and last night She pooped out a long stringy hard poop, followed by a massive blowout all over the wall of my chicken hospital. She seems like herself this morning. Drinking a lot, her crop is empty. I gave her some plain yogurt and a little bit of scrambled egg. I’m going to monitor her for a few days to make sure that her poops normalize and slowly reintroduce food. It looks like she had a wad of hay blocking her digestive tract. I will also check that there are no more fleshy masses in her poop and maybe try to send in a poop sample to make sure she doesn’t have parasites. I will update if she regresses or we find some sort of reproductive issue.

I can’t thank everyone enough for the help. It is so hard to feel like you can’t help your bird.
And everyone who replied gave me more hope and confidence I could help her.
@Razzlefrazzle @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
I’m so glad to hear this! 😍 I hope she continues to get stronger and healthier. I’m so sorry I never replied, I didn’t even realize you had asked me something until I checked my emails this morning. I’m just so glad you were able to find answers and get her back on the right track.

I’m so glad to hear this! 😍 I hope she continues to get stronger and healthier. I’m so sorry I never replied, I didn’t even realize you had asked me something until I checked my emails this morning. I’m just so glad you were able to find answers and get her back on the right track.
Ah! I’m sorry I didn’t tag you! You were a glimmer of hope when I was totally out of ideas. Thank you so much.

I've never seen that before.
something tells me something is very wrong, I'm sorry.
I think so too. I didn’t think she would last this long though, so I have hope it’s not as bad as it looks, or is at least treatable. Thank you for the sympathy. I just wish I had some direction on how to help.

Back
Top Bottom