Yellow foamy poop

Basil and Buggy

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
My 3 week old chick has had another questionable poop. Is this just a strange cecal poop? Would it hurt to treat for coccidiosis without an official diagnosis? The chick is acting healthy (eating, drinking, running around). Should I be worried.
2ED4A290-7110-4184-9AAF-9F3B9ED793F3.jpeg

If this is only occasional and everyone seems fine, I would just watch, personally. I do keep meds on hand when raising chicks so that I can treat right away if needed. If you see any lethargy, sitting fluffed up, going off food or water, or in any way looking off, or if the poops become bloody or very mucousy, then I would treat. Corid is pretty safe, so if in doubt I would treat.

If this is only occasional and everyone seems fine, I would just watch, personally. I do keep meds on hand when raising chicks so that I can treat right away if needed. If you see any lethargy, sitting fluffed up, going off food or water, or in any way looking off, or if the poops become bloody or very mucousy, then I would treat. Corid is pretty safe, so if in doubt I would treat.
One of the other chicks has been sitting fluffed up (though still quite active when not sitting) and I actually just found another, similar dropping. Should I treat them with Corid just to be safe?

If any are acting lethargic, then yes, I would treat. And I would treat them all. If you are using the liquid Corid then it's 2 tsp per gallon of water, make fresh daily, and it needs to be the only water they have access to. If you are using the Corid powder then it's 1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat for 5 to 7 days. No vitamin supplements during treatment as it could reduce the effectiveness of the medication. If any are very lethargic or not drinking well on their own, you can give an oral dose of the Corid as well to those ones, in addtion to the medicated water. Instructions for that are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

If any are acting lethargic, then yes, I would treat. And I would treat them all. If you are using the liquid Corid then it's 2 tsp per gallon of water, make fresh daily, and it needs to be the only water they have access to. If you are using the Corid powder then it's 1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat for 5 to 7 days. No vitamin supplements during treatment as it could reduce the effectiveness of the medication. If any are very lethargic or not drinking well on their own, you can give an oral dose of the Corid as well to those ones, in addtion to the medicated water. Instructions for that are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Okay! Thank you so much for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom