YO GEORGIANS! :)

It's like the
Stuff that you stuff a home made pillow with ok it just come to me it's the stuff like you would put in a home made quilt I remember seeing my mother and grandmother make homemade quilts when I was younger and it's is the layer in the middle of the quilt that is what the fabric looks like if that makes any since

It's like the
Stuff that you stuff a home made pillow with ok it just come to me it's the stuff like you would put in a home made quilt I remember seeing my mother and grandmother make homemade quilts when I was younger and it's is the layer in the middle of the quilt that is what the fabric looks like if that makes any since
Batting?

Yes I believe it's like a bunch of small white threads tangled together they wet it down and put the seed on top it grows like crazy

My chickens are loving the fodder I am growing. First few trays didn't do well. Here are the things that I learned so far....
1. After you soak the seeds overnight, you should scoop off and throw away anything that is floating on top of the soak water. That stuff will not grow and will contribute to growing mold instead.
2. After the over night soak, rinse the seeds well and rinse again. This gets off a lot of whatever it is that can make the seeds slimy. (Kind-of like rice that sits in water)
3. Don't make the seeds more than a 1/2 inch deep. They don't grow well.
4. Mist the seeds with lots of water several times a day. This rinses away more of the sticky stuff.

I have found a source of Barley and will be picking it up later today. It is suppose to grow much faster than the wheat I am using! I have also gotten some fodder trays that are working a lot better than the aluminum baking trays and are twice the size of the ones in this photo. Fodder can save you up to 75% on chicken feed. One pound of seed produces up to 6 pounds of fodder feed! And, the chickens love the fresh young fodder greens!

What type of seed and where are you getting your seed for growing fodder? I so want to try growing some for our flock.

What type of seed and where are you getting your seed for growing fodder? I so want to try growing some for our flock.

Right now I am using wheat feed (seeds), but I don't like this particular brand because I'm not getting a good germination rate. I thought I had some barley, but when I went to get it, it said on the bag that it was treated. You don't want treated. It contains a lot of chemicals that could be harmful to your chickens. So, I will be looking for a new source. There is a nice thread on BYC about fodder. I am in the process of reading thru it. I am new to this, but I tell you, my chickens love what I have grown for them!

That thread is called "growing offer for chickens"

Some people are using black oiled sunflower seeds for fodder. But, wheat and barley and alfalfa are the most popular.

That thread is called "growing offer for chickens"

Some people are using black oiled sunflower seeds for fodder. But, wheat and barley and alfalfa are the most popular.
I give my chickens black oil sunflower seed and may try growing fodder from them but would also like to learn about wheat, barley and alfalfa. I will look up the thread too! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom