YO GEORGIANS! :)

Why come ain't you people indoors posting on this beautiful day? Don't you know the sun will kill you?

So here's a story for you. RoboJr and I go to the farm this morning to feed the animals. Why did Robo go instead of GAM you might ask yourself. Well it's easy..... I had no choice. GAM abandoned us. Left us high and dry. Went to Virginia. Can you believe that? And for what? Just to go see her daddy. Doesn't she know she has a family to take care of? Oh wait... the story. So anyhow, we get back from feeding. Now GAM made sure to make life as difficult as possible for me before she left. She went away with a GQF 1502 sportsman full of eggs. AND NO INSTRUCTIONS. I did the best I could. I really did. I looked in once a day while I was adding more eggs from the farm. I had to ya know... nobody here to cook them for me. Didn't see any pips so I figured it was all good. So back to today. We get home and RoboJr says he hears a peep. I said no way. He said yes way. I said are you sure it wasn't the dog. He said he was sure. So I told him to get me a flash light. He did. He's a good kid. He even turned it on for me. So I said thank you Helpy Helperton. He said you're welcome and handed me the flashlight. By this time I'm thinking he was right about the noise not being the dog since it was coming from inside the incubator but I looked in anyway just to be sure. And there it was. I couldn't believe it. A chick had been born. A fluffy little yellow chick. So cute. And so happy. Just hanging there by it's neck. It had zipped the top of the egg off that was standing upright in the tray. It had then climbed out. And promptly (I'm assuming) fell through the hole next door. Now how its body went through the hole but the head didn't is something of wonder. But there it was sure as the sun will kill you just hanging around. So I tried to unstuck him. There was no room to work inside the incubator so I tried to pull out the tray. It was hard because the eggs were just the teensiest it too tall to clear the other rack. Did you know if you put just the right pressure on just the right spot of an egg that's been incubating it will POP like a balloon? It will. Try it if you don't believe me. But anyway, I was successful in my chick rescuing efforts. The chick came out none the worse for the wear. And he was already dry so I didn't get any icky stuff on my hands. I named him Wan Hung Lo.

The End.

I'm going back out to take my chances with the sun now.

Laugh it up fluzz ball! I have an auto-immune issue and my body attacks itself when I am in sun very long. Not to mention I end up looking like a scary red faced clown! You enjoy that sun, me and my vampire skin will be inside till dusk! (I am also allergic to sun screen! Fun right?) Really though, enjoy the beautiful weather! How much damage can you do out there. Can't you BBQ for yourself and Jr or something?

You so rock being the chick hero but um.... you cleaned up the broken egg? Was it a bad egg?

She's doing pretty good. She made it through the night so I think she should be ok. I've seen her eat and drink, she eats like she's never eaten before. I just need to keep the wound cleaned out. I can see flesh, muscle everything. She did not like being in the dog crate so I moved the coop and cleaned it out this morning and put her in.
it was my neighbors moms dog, she visits occasionally. She got attacked outside the fence but still in my yard. The dog should be on a leash or watched because it has run off before. The neighbors were very apologetic and felt terrible though. What I hate is that we had people working on the house so all of the gates were open and she got out. She is always out and has been jumping for 2 years. We clipped her wings on Wednesday so she can't fly anymore, if her wings weren't clipped, she could have flown back over without any issues but she couldn't. From now on, I will check and make sure all birds are in the backyard before I leave the house. Didn't think about antibiotic, don't have blu kote but my dog vet recommended something blue that I'll get tomorrow.
so sorry about your chicken, glad she is still hanging on. I lost one last week to my own dog, broke her neck :( I have heard vetericyn is really good for cuts, helps heal wounds quickly. I bought some off Amazon.

Last edited:
Still in Alaska and my DH sends these photos!

Yea, one of our renters! Why did they have to choose the week I was out of town! Oh yea, and the snake was our 5 year resident black rat snake, Samantha. She found the door to coop not all the way shut at the bottom. Now I know why I wasn't getting more eggs!

Oh, and Robodud, you should call my DH and compare stories. He put eggs in the Bator yesterday and said by the afternoon he had a stinker. He had to sniff each egg! Haha! He found it. Egg # 26. He goes on and on about how much I owe him!

Still in Alaska and my DH sends these photos!

Yea, one of our renters! Why did they have to choose the week I was out of town! Oh yea, and the snake was our 5 year resident black rat snake, Samantha. She found the door to coop not all the way shut at the bottom. Now I know why I wasn't getting more eggs!

I'm not sure if I was supposed to be looking at the snake or the guy without a shirt... Half naked guy it is then. ;)

How normal is it for chickens who are new to laying to miss a couple days of laying? I haven't had an egg from some of my layers in 2 or 3 days, yet the secret nest I found last night was laid in again today 8 days straight and it's a silver laced wynadotte laying! Although her eggs are so small!

Why come ain't you people indoors posting on this beautiful day? Don't you know the sun will kill you?

So here's a story for you. RoboJr and I go to the farm this morning to feed the animals. Why did Robo go instead of GAM you might ask yourself. Well it's easy..... I had no choice. GAM abandoned us. Left us high and dry. Went to Virginia. Can you believe that? And for what? Just to go see her daddy. Doesn't she know she has a family to take care of? Oh wait... the story. So anyhow, we get back from feeding. Now GAM made sure to make life as difficult as possible for me before she left. She went away with a GQF 1502 sportsman full of eggs. AND NO INSTRUCTIONS. I did the best I could. I really did. I looked in once a day while I was adding more eggs from the farm. I had to ya know... nobody here to cook them for me. Didn't see any pips so I figured it was all good. So back to today. We get home and RoboJr says he hears a peep. I said no way. He said yes way. I said are you sure it wasn't the dog. He said he was sure. So I told him to get me a flash light. He did. He's a good kid. He even turned it on for me. So I said thank you Helpy Helperton. He said you're welcome and handed me the flashlight. By this time I'm thinking he was right about the noise not being the dog since it was coming from inside the incubator but I looked in anyway just to be sure. And there it was. I couldn't believe it. A chick had been born. A fluffy little yellow chick. So cute. And so happy. Just hanging there by it's neck. It had zipped the top of the egg off that was standing upright in the tray. It had then climbed out. And promptly (I'm assuming) fell through the hole next door. Now how its body went through the hole but the head didn't is something of wonder. But there it was sure as the sun will kill you just hanging around. So I tried to unstuck him. There was no room to work inside the incubator so I tried to pull out the tray. It was hard because the eggs were just the teensiest it too tall to clear the other rack. Did you know if you put just the right pressure on just the right spot of an egg that's been incubating it will POP like a balloon? It will. Try it if you don't believe me. But anyway, I was successful in my chick rescuing efforts. The chick came out none the worse for the wear. And he was already dry so I didn't get any icky stuff on my hands. I named him Wan Hung Lo.

The End.

I'm going back out to take my chances with the sun now.
lau.gif
You guys crack me up

Back
Top Bottom