You know you love your chickens when...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lexielou623, Oct 22, 2015.

1. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    it's just doing what a bird does. If people are going to start getting angry at creatures that love to eat chicken, don't they have to start with themselves first ? can you blame a bird for wanting chicken like we do ? I don't see the need.

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    No. I can't blame the bird. I understand it's just the circle of life and the way God intended it to be. But I am still going to try to save my chickens. I don't think anyone would just stand there and let it happen.

2 people like this.
  3. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

the first thing you do on the morning after your girls' first night in their new house is go out to check they are ok.....

(seriously, didn't even have my cup of tea)

3 people like this.
  4. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    Same, even more once they started laying!

5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Overrun With Chickens

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I know hubby loves our chickens when he's been fishing. He cooks the fillets for us and cooks all the other parts for the poultry! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. When you feel each of your chicken's crops when they go to roost to make sure they're full, and if they're not, that/those chicken(s) get to come inside and have a "bedtime snack".

7. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

you deliberately make more porridge than you can eat, so that you can give some to the girls.

8. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    When you dice up their scraps or say night night as you close their coop door at night!

9. Rewster

Rewster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    Southeast Ohio
    A lot of these hit close to my heart. I have been guilty of a lot of the ones listed here.
    I ask my wife to pick up extra treats for my girls when she goes to the grocery store.
    I actually made a pot of oatmeal today for my girls to have on a cold blustery day.
    I'm continuously thinking what I can take out to them as a treat.

I know the feeling is mutual because every time I go out to the pen all 18 run out to greet me.
    And one that I do is to eat less of something so I have more leftovers to give them.
    Yea, I spoil them but they repay me with beautiful healthy eggs.

1 person likes this.
  10. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015

Only then ? I talk to mine constantly. I think it helps them read my calm mood, or maybe know if I am cross with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by