Young goose off her legs

NickyS2512

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2019
A female Brecon Buff goose hatched last year, started to stay in the hut a few days ago. At first we thought she was nesting, but realised after 48 hours or so that all was not well- her plumage was very dirty. I carried her to the pond, and she swam about for a while, and got to the bank but no further. We housed her alone, and the following morning she had passed the membranes of an egg with no shell. She won’t eat. I have put her in a large sink of warm water each day, and she puts her head under the water, but I am not sure if she drinks any. Yesterday she pooped liquid dark green. Her plumage is now more or less normal. Her diet previously was mixed corn and free access to grass. All of the rest of the flock seem fine. Any suggestions anyone?

I'm so sorry to hear this. Laying shell-less eggs is very dangerous. Best thing to do is offer her crushed egg-shells and lots of fresh water. If it is a single episode, then usually goose recovers fine. Occasionally, a goose will appear very sick for a couple of days after laying shell-less egg, then recover only to lay another shell-less egg. If this happens, it is important to disrupt pattern by destroying nesting area or moving goose someplace new to her to create disruption. If pattern continues, the goose usually dies.

You could also get some calcium gluconate we’ve had a few members whose ducks were egg bound and the Cal Gluconate works to get the muscles to expel the egg. It may help your goose get rid of anything left over inside plus she needs the extra calcium too. You can get it at TSC 1 ml daily orally keep the bottle In the frig after opened. Also to add extra calcium beside the egg shells is calcium citrate when one is having soft shell or shell less eggs.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Laying shell-less eggs is very dangerous. Best thing to do is offer her crushed egg-shells and lots of fresh water. If it is a single episode, then usually goose recovers fine. Occasionally, a goose will appear very sick for a couple of days after laying shell-less egg, then recover only to lay another shell-less egg. If this happens, it is important to disrupt pattern by destroying nesting area or moving goose someplace new to her to create disruption. If pattern continues, the goose usually dies.
Thanks, we have moved her and are giving her calcium, so we will see what happens

You could also get some calcium gluconate we’ve had a few members whose ducks were egg bound and the Cal Gluconate works to get the muscles to expel the egg. It may help your goose get rid of anything left over inside plus she needs the extra calcium too. You can get it at TSC 1 ml daily orally keep the bottle In the frig after opened. Also to add extra calcium beside the egg shells is calcium citrate when one is having soft shell or shell less eggs.
Thankyou , I am in the UK, but have made a solution of crushed calcium tablets and am giving her some each day. When I went to get her today she was 4 or 5 yards from her shelter, so must have moved a bit, although still made no move to get away from me. She seems better in some ways- her plumage is now clean, but she isn’t eating much, if anything. Her vent is clean

If she has an special treats you might be able to entice her with adding some treat on her feed. Even making a warm soup of her feed if she’s drinking. Keeping her hydrated is very important.

If she has an special treats you might be able to entice her with adding some treat on her feed. Even making a warm soup of her feed if she’s drinking. Keeping her hydrated is very important.
Soup to feed sounds like a good idea. I will try some for her tomorrow, thanks

That’s warm water to her feed to make it soupy!
Don’t worry, I realised what you meant. She is slowly showing signs of improvement. She pushes herself to her feet using her neck and beak almost like a walking stick. When having her daily session in our large sink, she is able to stand with the support of the water. Made her a kind of oatmeal sloppy porridge with added calcium and spooned a bit down. My main on going concern is her poor appetite, but I will just keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom