Young Hen flipping over *Lost Her Today*

Tricia's Triple Z

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 7, 2007
I found my young Buff wedged behind the brooder cage(an extra large dog crate).
I do not know how long she was there I checked them when I left 3pm Saturdary, they were ok, I got home at 3pm Sunday.
Her neck was turned under her, butt in the air. She was almost limp, she drank water. When I sat her down, she went to the ground, she wobbled around, she wanted to go outside. When she went out she pooped (normal looking) then tried to walk and flipped over as she was trying to walk again that is when she flipped again then layed on her side. She was picking at her feathers on her back, that is when I noticed a stick like thing, sticking out above her vent about 4 inches I have never seen this before. I looked like the quill of a feather that was pulled out but opposite? Is it her spine? Could one of the others pecked her. Her bum was ok. After a while she was standing on the floor, looking as she was sleeping. (not dead) If anyone knows what this may be, or if I need to have her put down. She doesn't look like she is suffering or in pain
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this long post

Last edited:
If she is still alive in the morning I will get one. It is 10pm here in NJ. I do not know how to post pictures on the site. If someone could walk me through it that would be great I would like to get a small video to show her actions. That I bet is harder to get on here. You can PM me or e-mail if you like [email protected]

if you have concerns about the others pecking her and killing her over the night...or my concern would be her falling off the roost...I would get her into the chicken ICU...(make a safe place with a dog crate or a cat carrier) put her someplace where she can feel safe and hopefully she is still with you in the morning
fl.gif

She is one on five that do not roost. Thay are afraid of my other chickens, they sleep on the floor or in the nesting boxes. I think that they will leave here alone. I will try her in the brooder cage Just went out, she was in her area resting. She did fall over when she tried to walk away from me. I am going to let her go for the night, the cage might stress her out. She is in with the others who cower in the corner with her.

Last edited:
I'd try and get some Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..Enfamil brand if possible, no iron..
give 3 drops a day on beak for a week or so..tapering off for a week..
some electrolytes wouldn't hurt either..

go to photobucket and follow instructions there..
then transfer to here.

is there a way you can divide the coop, or have a different place for the scared hens?

Last edited:
She is better today, if she tries to walk fast she tumbles forward and flips over. I think that where her tail feathers are is where she is hurt, thst is why she has no balance. I will try to get a pic.

Yes, I lost her today, yesterday she ate like a champ, I gave her baby parrot food liquid, she LOVED her vitamins. But all my efforts did not work. She was outside with me and another older hen at pecked her and I noticed how her neck was when she tried to get away. I was crooked at the top, I went inside to get water for her and she was laying there suffering. I hated to do it but I told my husband to take care of her, he came back in and said that he didn't have to, she had passed.
sad.png
I know now that she was suffering the whole time, maybe just waiting for me to go away, who knows. Thanks for the efforts to help me and my friend.

Back
Top Bottom