View attachment 2861743it's starting to sit up but I think it's eyes are too crusty to open fully and it's still not peeping but it's definitely improving.
This chicks' stance is so sad but it looks almost cartoonish, it made me happy and sad at the same time.

I also had a situation with liquid coming out of an egg. I'm 99% sure it was due to too high of humidity :( 2 chicks in that hatch didn't make it out of the egg, even though they pipped, and one fully zipped. The others hatched without issue!

Because this little one hatched, i am keeping my fingers crossed that it just needs rest to regain its strength!

Unfortunately it didn't make it through the night. I'm completely devastated. I've lost birds before but this one hit harder. I've decided to stop hatching eggs. I'll only be buying adult birds now because I can't handle their deaths being my fault. Sorry to disappoint everyone in this thread. I really thought it was going to survive.

Unfortunately it didn't make it through the night. I'm completely devastated. I've lost birds before but this one hit harder. I've decided to stop hatching eggs. I'll only be buying adult birds now because I can't handle their deaths being my fault. Sorry to disappoint everyone in this thread. I really thought it was going to survive.
Don't give up, you learn each time you incubate.

I live in Panama. Here it is a high heat, high humidity environment, as in, ALWAYS high heat and humidity, year round. I lost several of my first hatches due to drowning in the shell as I was following instructions that stated that I must make sure that the humidity in the incubator was high... blah blah. I have since learned that those instructions were NOT going to work where I live. I now dry incubate both quail and chicken eggs (about six times a year) while I ignore the instructions to add water, wet sponges etc. and I no longer have drowned chicks.

At least, try a dry hatch before you give up.

Don't give up, you learn each time you incubate.

I live in Panama. Here it is a high heat, high humidity environment, as in, ALWAYS high heat and humidity, year round. I lost several of my first hatches due to drowning in the shell as I was following instructions that stated that I must make sure that the humidity in the incubator was high... blah blah. I have since learned that those instructions were NOT going to work where I live. I now dry incubate both quail and chicken eggs (about six times a year) while I ignore the instructions to add water, wet sponges etc. and I no longer have drowned chicks.

At least, try a dry hatch before you give up.
I've never heard of dry hatching before. I'll look into it. Thank you for your kind words

I keep a separate thermometer/hygrometer outside my incubator to monitor the house humidity/temperature, & adjust the incubator humidity/temperature accordingly.

Days 1-17 go with the humidity at about 35% - 45%.

Days 18 - 21 go with humidity between 55% - 65%.

If the house is very humid, usually I only have to add water when it drys up in the incubator. Usually it's only a dribble.

If the house is very dry I fill a couple troughs.

Back
Top Bottom