Dominique Thread!

Good morning! These are my little daughter's best friends. Any guesses on gender? They are 16 weeks 5 days old.

Show pictures.

These are the 4 comb variations we have in our flock. From left to right I describe these as: rose variation 1, single, rose with "horn" or "leader", and rose variation 2.

At one time around a century ago Dominique breeders struggled about the breed standard regarding combs - some breeders thought straight combs should be the standard and some vigorously thought the rose comb was acceptable. Well, the straight comb Dominique breeders registered with the APA and other breeds like Cornish and game hens and some other breeds were infused to make the BRs larger as dual purpose while the Dominique breed later got accepted into the APA as rose comb. So my understanding is that occasionally a Dominique will hatch with a straight comb throwback. I believe the "horn" you are referring to is the spike or "leader" at the back of the rose comb on a Dominique which is a very attractive feature especially on the males. Google Dominique chickens and read everything you can to get a complete history and evolution of the breed and how straight combed BRs broke away from the rose combed original American Dominique.
I know a little about the cultural history of dominiques but really know nothing about their breeding history. Thanks for helping me learn! I have no idea if there could possibly be a correlation between temperament and comb styles, but hens 3 and 4 ( from left to right in the above photo) have a more desirable temperament.

All are variants on rose comb. No single or pea comb alleles need to be involved to cause what you have. Other not well understood loci or even environmental factors causing the variation. I have made crosses with single comb and hard to tell from rosecomb only.

These are the 4 comb variations we have in our flock. From left to right I describe these as: rose variation 1, single, rose with "horn" or "leader", and rose variation 2.

I know a little about the cultural history of dominiques but really know nothing about their breeding history. Thanks for helping me learn! I have no idea if there could possibly be a correlation between temperament and comb styles, but hens 3 and 4 ( from left to right in the above photo) have a more desirable temperament.
Probably like all indiduals in a flock of the same breed one will take a dominant role while the others place themselves in 2nd, 3rd, etc. As far as combs I personally like #1 and #4. I always worry that flock politics will cause squabbles that tear off the leader at the back - or frostbite in which case #3 has it made since she is lacking the spike or else someone has already torn it off in a flock squabble.

I have American Dominiques and American Dominiques. The former can squabble to an extreme yet the appearance of the comb is seldom changed. Dominiques are no more capable, Differences as depicted in images above are usually visible at hatch or while birds are still in the brooder well before real battles are fought. The environment that I think may be more important is during embryonic development while in the egg.

Happy July 4th! We woke up with an unexpected Dominique chick in the incubator. (PO scrambled the eggs but one managed to develop & HATCH!)
woot.gif

I am inexperienced with this breed, so i'm having trouble identifying a chick that should be sexable.
Is this a male or female? The spot isn't a perfect circle, nor are the legs all black.
I thought I'd try asking around. Does anyone have an idea? Do I need to wait a day or two?

Back
Top Bottom