San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Empireranch.............beautiful egg !
thumbsup.gif

"Flower: I got it down and will be bringing extra doggie snacks just in case. Just curious, are the olive eggs from Turkens? I honestly never knew that other chickens laid different colored eggs other than the EE and the Ameraucana (sp?). I learn something every day." luvanimals2 asked "Just curious, are the olive eggs from Turkens?"" I do not have turkens but they are one my list. I would love to have olive eggs turkens and planning to.

If a birds carries the blue egg gene and mates with a chicken who has the gene for a brown colored, their chicks will possibly carry both the blue and brown colored gene which looks Olive colored. In fact when you open the egg, the inside of the shell is blue. In case you have not read it as of yet, their are only blue egg and white egg shells. Brown egg shells are white with a brown coating. When you see the inside of the egg it will be white. I just learned all this information several months ago. Cool isn't it. My Olive egg layer is from a blue egg gene roooster and a brown egg hen. She is called Amber and is very sweet. But the Olive eggs that I have are from Amber under a Brabanter which carries the white egg gene, so not all of the birds will lay blue eggs but their the third generation, the chicks will be carrying the blue eggs gene.

Thank you all! Yes, I have been waiting a long time for an egg.....

To dfdesigns - we have a morgan horse also!

Very interesting Flower! All my girlies are/ will be brown eggers, and yep, the inside is white! I have 3 laying now, and hopefully the other 3 will start this spring. They're getting so big, but just not old enough.

Did anybody see that thread of the ducklings hatching the other day? The were SO cute!!
love.gif

My mom just told me that she and a friend of hers both plan on attending the meet-up. Neither one has a computer but both have chickens. I told them to bring a dish to share.

Flower, That is sooooooooooooo interesting. I never knew that. I got some eggs from a lady here on BYC for the NY's hatch and I got a blue egg from her. Only 1 and it hatched and I never understood it when she said that if it is a girl then it will lay a olive colored egg. I totally did not understand but now it seems to make a little more sense because I somehow thought she would lay a blue egg like what she came out of.

Nancy

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom