San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Pics
luvanimals - of course you can come! The more the merrier
wink.png

Too bad you just missed the hens on here. Maybe you can pick some up while you are here, I know there are some posts on Craigslist here in SD that are from people I know. If you look in farm and garden, there is an ad from Laurel in Valley Center and one from Ron out there too. I have bought and traded several times from both of them and they were very nice. Laurel is a BYC member also (LaurelM) but she hasn't posted since May so I don't know if she is checking her PMs. They both have tons of chickens so even if that's not what they are selling on the ad, they likely still have some hens they could spare. Last I spoke with Ron he said he needed to get selling as he had too many to afford the feed bills - times have been tough for him. I'm sure I have their #s somewhere if you can't find them on CL.

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the warm welcome. Also, thanks for the leads. I am sure I will find what I want. I am just a bit torn right now if I should get the laying hens or I should get chicks. Not sure if I want to wait til spring to start with chicks.

I look forward to meeting all of you. Please let me know what I can bring. It will be a bit of a ride so I am not sure about food but if needed, I can grab it on the way.

Nancy

Hi Everyone, I am still trying to figure out what to bring. Will dessert be okay then? Do you still need paper products? I would love to help out if needed.

Forgive my ignorance but do we just bring whatever we have and hope that someone wants it?

PureSnowChick, That would be Wonderful. Is there anything I can offer you? I have a garden but it is in it's transition period right now. I do have strawberry plants, not sure if they will interest you. They are San Andreas, Camarosa and LOTS of Sequoias. I also have fig trees and they have the variety name, no mystery plants. I have blackberry plants and could take cuttings, there are some raspberry babies that i can get too. Or just list off things, I may just have it. I would love to meet your mastiff. I have always wanted one, maybe one day. I have had German Shepherds all of my life and I cannot seem to stray from them. I have 4 now.

Nancy

Quote:
It's my understanding that you can (from what I have read about it), but there are some illnesses that chickens can carry without getting sick that could be passed to quail and possibly make them very sick and even kill them, so there is risk involved for the quail but not the chickens apparently.
Some people have done it for years and years without ever having problems, some have lost entire flocks of quail... so it's a gamble but there are lots of things in the world that can wipe out flocks so I guess it's really a matter of preference?

Thanks. But wouldn't the chickens just eat the quails?
smile.png
We all know how vicious chickens can be.

Quote:
It's my understanding that you can (from what I have read about it), but there are some illnesses that chickens can carry without getting sick that could be passed to quail and possibly make them very sick and even kill them, so there is risk involved for the quail but not the chickens apparently.
Some people have done it for years and years without ever having problems, some have lost entire flocks of quail... so it's a gamble but there are lots of things in the world that can wipe out flocks so I guess it's really a matter of preference?

Back
Top Bottom