September Hatch-A-Long

Hi Everyone,
Reading everyone's post has helped so much. I'm new to hatching. I'm so excited. I set my eggs on the 9th. I started with 25 eggs. 6 RIR, 6 Buff over RIR, 3 mix Australorp, 3 Australorp, 6 Americaunas and 1 Buff over Buff&Cohin mix. I have had 4 clear and 1 quitter today. The others seem healthy. I have a still air incubator. My temp has stayed between 99 to 100f by my digital thermometer and 101 by the thermometer that came with the incubator. I have read so many different things about humidity. My humidity at the beginning it was 55% to 57% but I brought it down a little to 45% to 52%. I enjoy seeing everyone pics. Can't wait to take some of my own.

I ended up breaking the egg off the chick. It was glued together by the inner membrane. Did it pip too big a hole before zipping?

Congrats to all of you with hatching chicks! How exciting!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am a little disappointed with the eggs I purchased.
I'm on day 12, and out of 9 eggs set, several of the eggs look clear, a couple look like they quit, I only have 2 developing chicks.
I'm hoping that they both make it to hatch, because I don't want a single lonely chick, especially going into the colder months.

It looks like I'll be giving this another try come spring, although I'm planning on buying my eggs elsewhere.
I hear you on the disappointment, which is why I have mostly tried to hatch local eggs this Summer, but I just got shipment of eggs that I couldn't get locally and only two... maybe 3 are developing at all and they seem weird... developing up by the air cell. I think I will only buy shipped eggs if I see feedback that says they pack extremely well! I hope your two and my two all make it!!

I notice that some chicks grow a little too big and can't move into proper position to hatch.  I think it is because of higher humidity levels during incubation, not lack of humidity during hatching.

The humidity was kept between 45 & 55 during incubation. All the rest so far are good. One little black silkie went from just a pip to fully zipped in about 2 minutes and shot out of the egg like a little rocket. It jumped completely out of the egg carton egg and all. Lol

The humidity was kept between 45 & 55 during incubation. All the rest so far are good. One little black silkie went from just a pip to fully zipped in about 2 minutes and shot out of the egg like a little rocket. It jumped completely out of the egg carton egg and all. Lol

Crazy!! I am glad they are hatching well!!
jumpy.gif
I want black Silkies someday!

Welcome all new chickies!   :bun   :jumpy   :jumpy    :jumpy    :bun

There are so many!!! Soooo cute!

It is not that simple when doing chicken math....Do not attempt to figure your own hatch rate, people have ended up with brain spasms and twisted personality trying without adequate training.

If I start with eggs and end with chicks that's good enough for me... Forget math! The only number I worry about is 21... 21 days! Lol

Back
Top Bottom