September Hatch-A-Long

Congrats to all of you with hatching chicks! How exciting!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am a little disappointed with the eggs I purchased.
I'm on day 12, and out of 9 eggs set, several of the eggs look clear, a couple look like they quit, I only have 2 developing chicks.
I'm hoping that they both make it to hatch, because I don't want a single lonely chick, especially going into the colder months.

It looks like I'll be giving this another try come spring, although I'm planning on buying my eggs elsewhere.

Day 19 here! We started with 38 had 10 clears 1 blood ring by day 10 then by day 16 established we had 6 early quitters. Went to lock down with 21 eggs yesterday this morning we woke up with a weeping egg I was pretty sure it wasn't good but was hoping for the best because it came from a friend with some cool looking birds ( and for chicken math statistics it was around at least 10 dogs, carried by a child and traveled by car). I reached in and grabbed it as quickly as pissible. my son and I have stared through the incubator windows waiting very impatiently for any signs of movement. We know its early but we can't help ourselves. Keeping fingers crossed for some hatchin action this weekend! We also have a broody who has been sitting for a week or so but is still seems to be accumulating eggs? Do you think the other girls are making deposits or is she still laying? Thoughts?

Ok, I need advice here. I have 6 chicks out, 4 eggs with no pips, one new pip, and my first pipped egg has a hole about the width of a dime with no progress all day. The chick is alive and pecking at the hole but does not seem able to move within the egg. Should I help it out? Is it safe to take the chicks or egg out of the hatcher?

Day 19 here! We started with 38 had 10 clears 1 blood ring by day 10 then by day 16 established we had 6 early quitters. Went to lock down with 21 eggs yesterday this morning we woke up with a weeping egg I was pretty sure it wasn't good but was hoping for the best because it came from a friend with some cool looking birds ( and for chicken math statistics it was around at least 10 dogs, carried by a child and traveled by car). I reached in and grabbed it as quickly as pissible. my son and I have stared through the incubator windows waiting very impatiently for any signs of movement. We know its early but we can't help ourselves. Keeping fingers crossed for some hatchin action this weekend! We also have a broody who has been sitting for a week or so but is still seems to be accumulating eggs? Do you think the other girls are making deposits or is she still laying? Thoughts?

That is a tough one, sorry about the dog, child and car.

You can count your lucky starts you got the bad eggs out... You will most likely get a hatch...

My last batch I incubated I had 4 eggs explode, because of my unwillingness to thro them out and I still ended up with 10 chicks...

and those eggs traveled by car with 2 dogs in it!

And one wife that was upset I was stopping to get pheasant eggs, when I offered her a ride to the dairy Queen..

I will never understand her, I am Dam**D if I do and Dam**D if I don't. I bought her a cone,,,geeeeesch

If your hen is broody, then Yes someone is making a deposit, mark the eggs in the nest so you can pick out the new ones.....If the hen is pretending to be broody they could be hers.....Ethel did that once but she is a weird bird.

Last edited:
Regarding your broody in order of likelihood:
1. Other hens are stealing her spot while she eats and drinks and laying eggs.
2. She is still laying which isn't unheard of at 7 days, but unlikely.
3. She is stealing eggs from nearby nesting boxes. I never knew this was possible until I caught my australorpe doing it last year. She would climb into a nearby nest box, squat, and pin an egg under each wing. Then she would slowly waddle close to the ground back to her nesting box where she deposited her stolen eggs. It was a comical sight and explained how she kept getting so many eggs!

I've helped them out if its piped but then not moved for 24-48 hrs depending on the due date
Its not easy I have some great tweezers to pick at the shell
I usually hold it in kitchen roll and start removing shell but not membrane to try give it a hand, I try and go half way around then put it back, if membrane is shrinking or dry wet it with a cotton bud dipped in cooled boiled water, don't soak it you just want it damp, give it an hour if not hatched keep going around the egg
I've had times when I've caught the membrane and its bled, put pressure on the bleed till it stops
When you have completed the shell you will need to start folding back the membranes
The outer one is safe its the inner that bleeds
Take it slow, let the chick warm up between hatching it

I've helped them out if its piped but then not moved for 24-48 hrs depending on the due date
Its not easy I have some great tweezers to pick at the shell
I usually hold it in kitchen roll and start removing shell but not membrane to try give it a hand, I try and go half way around then put it back, if membrane is shrinking or dry wet it with a cotton bud dipped in cooled boiled water, don't soak it you just want it damp, give it an hour if not hatched keep going around the egg
I've had times when I've caught the membrane and its bled, put pressure on the bleed till it stops
When you have completed the shell you will need to start folding back the membranes
The outer one is safe its the inner that bleeds
Take it slow, let the chick warm up between hatching it

We just started day 21. Is it safe to open the hatcher and get the egg out with one just pipped and 4 un-pipped?

Okay If I am doing it right I have 122 points to add. Do I get any points from hatching eggs from my flock, or no?

Also now sure if the regular hatch % is from amount started with, amount on day 18, amount started with not including clears, etc. This is first time hatching out so im confused about all this lol

Okay If I am doing it right I have 122 points to add. Do I get any points from hatching eggs from my flock, or no?

Also now sure if the regular hatch % is from amount started with, amount on day 18, amount started with not including clears, etc. This is first time hatching out so im confused about all this lol

Grasshopper, many are at this point. Do not fret much, a 122% is not bad.

Back
Top Bottom