Show off your Peas!

my boy!

Last edited:
I wish that you guys were wrong because I don't want a sick bird but I didn't weigh her with a scale but I did pick her up and first thing I felt was her breast bone and then I started feeling around and I can feel some bones and she lost a lot of weight like third or a quarter of a gallon of milk kind of. Thora feels double Calypso's weight. I checked for mites and lice and didn't find any. I checked near the vent and the wing pits and no sign of them so it must be something inside her. None of my birds have ever been wormed. I only see Thora pick crest feathers out. Lately Thora has just been walking around Calypso without even touching her.

Last edited:
I wish that you guys were wrong because I don't want a sick bird but I didn't weigh her with a scale but I did pick her up and first thing I felt was her breast bone and then I started feeling around and I can feel some bones and she lost a lot of weight like half a gallon of milk kind of. Thora feels double Calypso's weight. I checked for mites and lice and didn't find any. I checked near the vent and the wing pits and no sign of them so it must be something inside her. None of my birds have ever been wormed.

Okay if she has lost that much weight she is definitely sick. She needs safeguard asap, do you have any? If not do you have any other wormers you use on other animals? Also do you have any corid/amprollium. I had my Peacocks for years before I even knew you should worm them, sometimes you get lucky that way and there isn't a problem for years, but I think the luck has run out. Do you know how to crop feed her? If not pm Kathy, she has talked many people thru that I think. When I had sick ones the vet said I needed to get food in them to keep them alive long enough for the meds to work. It is really much easier than it sounds.

My first peachick just hatched , looks IB but its split white cause the dad is white. I'll upload a picture as soon as I get home

I have no idea on what wormer we use, some are injections for cattle and horses and some we just squirt in the horses mouth I will ask my dad what the wormer is.

I have no idea on what wormer we use, some are injections for cattle and horses and some we just squirt in the horses mouth I will ask my dad what the wormer is.

Let me know as soon as you find out what you have, some of the injectables are safe to use and the safeguard is meant for cattle so that is not a problem.

Sigh... Can you bring her inside where it's warm? Sick birds need to be kept warm, 80° to 85° is ideal. She's probably also dehydrated and will need fluids and I'd start with 60ml every 4-6 hours.

DylansMom is correct, it's not usually the disease that kills them, it's dehydration and starvation. Bad news is once they lose too much weight they don't usually recover. @Birdrain92 , this is an emergency, if you can find a vet to see her today that would be your best option. Do you have fish-zole, Baytril or Safeguard? Can you go to Tractor Supply and get a large syringe and to a Petsmart to get a tube, babybird food and metronidazole?

From: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
Supportive Care
SICK-BIRD ENCLOSURES
Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.

FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids. This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC) or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl) that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid therapy.

ORAL NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS
Below are listed some of the oral nutritional supplements that can be gavage-fed to debilitated birds. Various hand-feeding formulas are on the market and, as a whole, are far superior to the homemade formulas used decades ago that contained monkey biscuits, peanut butter and ground seeds. Commercially available hand-feeding formulas for baby birds are often utilized in the treatment of sick and debilitated adult birds. The quantity that can be fed at one time to a sick bird is greatly reduced from that of baby birds. On the average, a baby parrot can accommodate 10% of its body weight per feeding due to the elasticity of the crop and its rapid emptying. Adult birds have a greatly decreased crop capacity, averaging 3% of their body weight. Additionally, sick birds are less tolerant of food in the crop and care must be taken to avoid regurgitation and/or aspiration. A sick or debilitated bird should always have its hydration corrected prior to attempting to initiate oral gavage-feeding.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom