𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 2𝐤22 ~ Flo's Hatch-A-Long ~

Pics
Anyone want to try guessing who fathered which chicks? (@MysteryChicken @Rhodebar Lover @TheOddOneOut @EmmaRainboe)

I have a Sebright roo (had him for over 6 years, he's never fathered chicks ONCE [they are known to have very low fertility rates :(] and we've hatched dozens of times in the past), a Barred Rock roo, a Silver Duckwing OEGB, a Silver Duckwing OEGB mix, a Buff Cochin, and an Easter Egger X Cochin.

I already know the EE X Cochin fathered at least 1-2 chicks (I see ear muffs and beards), and I know the OEGB fathered the chipmunk. Any guesses for the others?
Keep in mind which have feathered feet and which don't (The EE X Cochin and the Buff Cochin roos are the only roos with feathered feet).

Just wanted to let y'all know that I have random "chick names" for the chicks, but they usually grow out of them, so I will probably need help naming them later on!
For example, Blondie is blonde right now, but will probably be white when she's older. The Chipmunk one is named Chippy, but as an adult, she will not have the chipmunk coloring.

(I am saying "she" in hopes of getting all (or mostly) hens :fl.

Tomorrow, I will be going to Church in the morning and evening, so I will not be on BYC much. Will keep y'all updated though!
I’m game to wildly guess but, I’d like to wait for another 5-14 days before I do so… gives a chance for the first feather fluff blow out to occur iirc.

As I suspected, Blondie has been too sick to survive. :( I found her this morning under Flo, next to Flo’s feet, curled up, flattened, and deceased.

:hit

What I am thinking is that she had not yet absorbed the yolk and died and then the momma and other chicks probably trampled her, explaining why she’s flat. I will bury her later today :(.

***warning: photos may be disturbing to some viewers***

921B5D22-0042-4B24-A14F-3BE1886BA6C8.jpeg
B82CAB65-4035-494A-AA1E-9DBC04F6AFA7.jpeg

BEBF4FB2-22E8-403D-9134-F859A1A5EBB5.jpeg
34F6297C-EF14-4EAB-BC39-C944C82C6F92.jpeg
3F2F4544-C91A-4973-AADB-61069F244E9E.jpeg

Any ideas on what breed/mix Blondie could have been? I’m just curious.

Also noticed she had a little black spot.. My delaware hens are big, white (with black spots), clean legged, lay light brown eggs, etc. Guessing she was a delaware mix?
She was the biggest chick, hatched from a light brown egg, clean legs, 4 toes.

Neither of the remaining eggs have budged. No pip, no chirping, no movement (from what I can tell).

I’m trying to decide when to call quits? People usually do it 3 days after the hatch date, correct? 3 days after would be Wednesday.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Will be heading to Church soon!

God Bless you all!

As I suspected, Blondie has been too sick to survive. :( I found her this morning under Flo, next to Flo’s feet, curled up, flattened, and deceased.

What I am thinking is that she had not yet absorbed the yolk and died and then the momma and other chicks probably trampled her, explaining why she’s flat. I will bury her later today :(.

View attachment 3015672View attachment 3015673
View attachment 3015674View attachment 3015675View attachment 3015676

Also noticed she had a little black spot.. My delaware hens are big, white (with black spots), clean legged, lay light brown eggs, etc. Guessing she was a delaware mix?

Neither of the remaining eggs have budged. No pip, no chirping, no movement (from what I can tell).

I’m trying to decide when to call quits? People usually do it 3 days after the hatch date, correct? 3 days after would be Wednesday.

God Bless you all!
I am so sorry about Blondie. Nature has a funny way of weeding out the weak. I am very glad mom has been a good mom to the rest and it doesn’t seem like an agression issue. 3 days would probably be the max, otherwise the age gap would be too much.

God Bless you all!
I'm sorry Ben. :hugs

God Bless you all!
Have you candled those eggs?

Have you candled those eggs?
I've attempted to candle, yes. It looks like both chicks inside the eggs are fully developed, however, I don't see any movement.

Flo is doing a great job of keeping up with the chicks while still incubating the final 2 eggs. Today she got off the nest for the first time since Friday, which was my chance to take pictures of the chicks so I can track their growth. Will post pictures later today or tomorrow!

I found this auto-sexing guide on the Cackle Hatchery website. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I have a Silver Duckwing OEGB chick, which falls into the auto-sexing breeds category, apparently. Needless to say, according to the SS below, is my "chipmunk" chick a female or male?

1646619066757.png
1646619218330.png

I posted a video on page 16 of this thread... it has a video of the Chipmunk chick, Chippy.
@MysteryChicken @cherrynberry @JustBabyMargo @Little Baby Bean @Overo Mare @TheOddOneOut
Any help is greatly appreciated! Hoping it's a pullet!

I've attempted to candle, yes. It looks like both chicks inside the eggs are fully developed, however, I don't see any movement.

Flo is doing a great job of keeping up with the chicks while still incubating the final 2 eggs. Today she got off the nest for the first time since Friday, which was my chance to take pictures of the chicks so I can track their growth. Will post pictures later today or tomorrow!

I found this auto-sexing guide on the Cackle Hatchery website. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I have a Silver Duckwing OEGB chick, which falls into the auto-sexing breeds category, apparently. Needless to say, according to the SS below, is my "chipmunk" chick a female or male?

View attachment 3016529 View attachment 3016532
I posted a video on page 16 of this thread... it has a video of the Chipmunk chick, Chippy.
@MysteryChicken @cherrynberry @JustBabyMargo @Little Baby Bean @Overo Mare @TheOddOneOut
Any help is greatly appreciated! Hoping it's a pullet!
I believe it's male.

I sex Silver Duckwing OEGBs based on coloration.
Females are darker, with well defined stripe, eyeliner, black outlined stripes, & clear arrowhead.

Males are lighter, & occasionally lack eyeliner darkness, dark lines, arrowhead sharpness.

Jelly Bean is a good example for female.
20210711_113039.jpg
20200810_103419.jpg

Back
Top Bottom