11 wk Old Ducklings Waddling Weird

LexiLou27

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2024
This is not my first time with ducklings, but my first time with hatchery order ducklings. They appear to be lopsided and waddling much more than my older ducks. Some of the hens will take breaks frequently and sit down if walking for a longer distance. I supplemented niacin almost daily up until ~8 weeks and I supplement it occasionally (~weekly) now. I figured it was an issue with their crop and they weren’t getting enough grit (I don’t supplement it because we have many acres with all kinds of soil including sand, small ground up rocks, crushed gravel, etc.), but I decided to put some grit into one of their feeders with some water to entice them and they went crazy over it. They seem to be doing better a few days following this and I’m wondering if I should continue supplementing it and if their waddling and crops will get better. I never had this issue with my other ducks but they did forage a lot more than the ducklings do.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    971.8 KB · Views: 23
My ducks forge but I still keep a bowl of chick grit full at all times in case they don’t find grit themselves
I Also supplement nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1cup feed till 10-12 weeks
I run a few bigger breeds so usually 12 weeks
After that I sprinkle it on the feed a few times a week
In winter I do it daily or at least 5 days a week
If any are having leg issues I would start them on durvet vitamin B complex 1 ml a day till you see them fully back to normal then go one more week
I give my ducks this with any leg issues ( if they are limping from running in a hole or something that gives them a little sore leg )
I do it by syringe but can also put it on a small treat you know they will get the full dose
Nutritional yeast is a preventative but once leg issues start the durvet it’s how to cure it

I feed the Kalmbach 17% layer pellet and I’m top dressing it with Nutrena feather maker while they go through their molt.

I’ll have to grab a bag of grit the next time I go to the feed store, possibly some durvet just to have on hand, but I don’t think it’s a leg issue and they might just be walking that way because their crops are so big and they’re off balance. I’ll still start them back on brewers yeast in case and if I don’t notice improvement I’ll start the durvet. Thank you for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom