2 chicks with 2 hens

Ann1986

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Hi all,

We had 2 broody chickens on the same nest, we decided to put 2 chicks under them at night.

So we did that yesterday when it was dark and put 1 underneath each chicken :p

This morning, everything was fine and they are all just laying there calm, 2 chicks are now however under just 1 bird :p

I went to get chick feed, a bird net etc...

My question is. They are 4 days old, how many times do they leave the mother hen? Becuase they are still underneath her wing. But it is chilly outside , 10°C.

I put drunk and water all in their house close to them.

Do I have to do anything to make them eat?
any of you have experience with this?

I went to check again and the chicks are now under the other hen XD haha . No pecking at each other at all

Last edited:
I've had broody hens share chicks successfully in the past, so it can work. The chicks after a few days decided which hen's feathers were more comfy and slept under her at night while the other one roosted and during the day they both took care of them. They will probably decide to get up with the chicks soon and will show them the food, water etc. If it's nearby chances are the chicks may find it and help themselves too. As long as they have accepted the chicks I wouldn't worry about them, but keep an eye anyway.

Thank you:)

Everything is still going awesome.

I just came back from class and our biggest chicken is laying right next to the food and drink, and I hear the babies from underneath her:) The other one is laying in the nest.

Beautiful!
love.gif
Enjoy them!

Me to! So releaved. I slept very poorly because I had stress thinking if everything would go allright.

Now the little hen seems to not accept them anymore though, they are always under the big one.

I mean she goes to eat for example (our little adult hen) and the chick is eating right next to her and she doesnt harm them.
Then she goes back to her nest, and when the chick comes to close she does 1 peck towards it, like to chase it away.

And the chicks keep going under the bigger adult hen.

Back
Top Bottom