1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    And you had everything absolutely under control! you did your homework well and took mighty fine care of her too! [​IMG] I like being honest, with chicks like that, you really dont know what will happen. And were you to breed her things would have to be "anotherway" [​IMG] like I have to now

Keep on chirpin chick!

speaking of shipping, mybiggest mistake has been charging the $15 egg shipping, chicks I always priced actual, but I had gotten stuck many times with eggs, I have a BAD habit of adding way too many extras and then shipping is into 24/30 bucks!

Walnut very pretty!!! its neat you can still pair up chicks with adults!

2. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    They were all dry, because it has taken me a while to get a big enough pile of them with all the nails pulled. My chicken habit kept getting in my way. However, I was reminded how important it is to make sure they are dry with my coop door.

When I was building the door, I ran out of boards, so I grabbed a few from a pile outside that had been rained on recently. I butted them together tight and glued and screwed them together. After they dried back out, the cracks between the boards are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide, where they were butted up tight when I put them together. No biggy for a coop, but a good learning experience.

3. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Wow thats a big slit!

Did you clean with bleach or anything? I didnt, just made sure they didnt have bugs lol

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] this would be a great color scheme for a room, adding more white/cream?

5. frmboyinthecity

frmboyinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah

I haven't. I've sanded them, but I haven't bleached them. The smaller coop I'm building right now will be cleaned with deck cleaner though.

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Ugh I am off to the Dentist with hubs, both dreading it, not a night without kids we will enjoy ucky ucky

Dental jokes appropriate, I think I will eat a Italian sub and some oreos just for fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Good luck!

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    I just remembered, I banded my new chicks with colored zipties, so I'll be able to take some pics like this when they grow up too!
    My kind of color scheme And thanks for reminding me that I need to make a dentist appointment.... Not! :D

9. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    I saw like the little heart beat to. XD

So cute!!!!

10. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    Instead of cleaning the sewing room I bought more fabric. Oops.

So, I am having a tough time trying to find a source for cochin or brahma eggs. I'm loving the look of lemon blue cochin. Anyone here know of a source? Actually, I don't need to find pure breeds. I'm trying to add to my flock of rainbow layers. My current three layers are all medium to light brown egg-layers. I have two that will be laying soon that will probably lay light brown eggs. I have two dark brown egg laying pullets (one BCM and one Welsummer) and one blue egg laying pullet (CCL) that are 7-weeks-old. Big light-colored fluffy birds with pretty eggs. (The reason I say light-colored is because I already have some black birds in my flock. I'd love some lemon or lavender in my yard.) The cockerels I'm keeping will be blue-egg gene (Ameraucana) and dark brown egg gene (BCM). Maybe I need some EE? What do y'all think? Oooh, does anyone have some crested, bearded, feather-legged mixes that they would send me?

I may be the most impatient crazy chicken person. I unexpectedly started this whole endeavor in April. Now, I have 18 young birds, 8 eggs in the incubator, and I want to set at least a dozen somewhere between 10/3 and 10/9 so I can hatch along with y'all. It's a good thing I have a large barn/coop. It will be an interesting winter around here. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by