$295??? They're kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky for me my meds are on the $4 list.... not so for hubby... His GENERICS, GENERICS, cost well over $700 a month for a total of 3 medications. I can't for the life of me figure out how drugs that have been around well over 15 years costs that much as a generic! I force myself to not totally call up the pharmaceutical company and chew them out.........

I have heard that in many cases if you need a medication you can't afford and you contact the drug company they will try to offer you a discount of some sort. it is worth a try I suppose.

on the subject of why they cost so much, when you think about all the money that goes into developing and testing the drugs, you can sort of understand how the prices get so high though. maybe there is a way to lower research costs?

I recently had to go on an antibiotic for a sore throat. One 10 day supply cost me $40 for the generic, on top of the dr's office visit, AND the "lab fee" for sticking a darn q-tip down my throat. Having a fever for 4 days straight cost me over $200. Our Wal-Mart just automatically gives you the generic (if there is one) if you don't have insurance.

What surprised me when I signed in at the dr's office, you know they mark out the names for security/privacy, but you could still see where almost everyone on the list had put down "self insured" for their insurance carrier. (Myself included.)

Last edited:
We don't have any coverage on pharmacy drugs. We get ours thru the mail from Canada. We started about 3 months ago. Same medicine for alot less $.

If we didn't have the prescription plan from my DH's employment (he is still an employee, but disabled), we would have to sell everything we owned, in order for him to be able to have his medications. He takes over 15 a month, and probably if we totaled them all up, it would well be over $4000 a month. One blood pressure patch is $1300+ for three months. We pay $14 for a three month supply. My heart bleeds for people who cannot afford their meds if they want to eat that same month. No wonder the drug companies are screaming the walls down about this medical plan being passed. Think what it will be do their profits. A guy I use to work with at school told me his mom had a very rare stomach cancer and took a shot every month that was $25,000. I can't remember how many she took, but it was quite afew. I told him that was ok if Medicare paid for it, they raised 8 children who were all successful and society owed them something back.

Just went to the Dr. for the first time in a few years. Came home with a few samples and one cheap script (one of Wal-Mart's $4 generics). I don't know how much the second prescription is going to cost, though. And there may be more coming.

I have chronic blood clots,diabetes, the things that go along with diabetes and severe depression. My meds cost $3800 a month. If it wasnt for medicare Id be so screwed.Did I mention Im only 37?

Quote:
On the payment slips attached to my pharmacy bags, it tells me how much I would be paying if I didn't have insurance. They're outrageous.
Recently my internist put me on a newer med in a certain class of drugs that I tend to have weird reactions to. Thankfully, this is one of the few meds. in that class I can take without trouble; no weird side effects.
Shortly after I filled my script for it, my insurance company sent me a letter suggesting that I take a older, less expensive drug in the same class of drugs. There's no way I'm taking a chance with a med. that might throw my whole body into a tailspin. Most of them I've already been tried on anyhow.
I threw the letter away.

I will look on the tag the next time I pick up a perscription thanks.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom