5 1/2 month old hen vs. 1 1/2 month old chick

_Austinburnett_

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2017
i have a 5.5 month old black star hen. (Well I guess she is a pullet because she as t laid?). I put her in the coop with a 2 month old Silverlaced Wyandotte, and a 1.5 month old Cochin cross chick. She took the Wyandotte under her wing litterally... the Wyandotte sleeps under her like a baby chick. But the hen bully’s my cochin chick, yesterday he was scared for his life in the corner of the cage, and his butt was swollen and bleeding , along with bald spots. I put vasaline on his butt and put him back out today to watch and she started pecking him again so I took him back inside. What do I do? This chick has lived in my bedroom all it’s life and he is happier outside. But now he is bullied by his big sister!

Your older hen is rejecting the Cochin chick because it's unfamiliar to her. It's unusual she has accepted the Wyandotte, but be grateful for small favors.

You will need to establish a safe area for the Cochin where all three chickens can see one another and interact but where the Cochin will be protected from physical harm. They all need a period of time to become acquainted. Then, under supervision, allow the Cochin to mingle with the others for short intervals, increasing the time each day according to how long they can go without the Cochin getting abused. Eventually, you'll know that they've integrated when the hen ignores the Cochin.

Setting up a second watering and feeding station will help the Cochin get the essentials it needs. Sometimes it helps to have this second feeding station located on a higher level such as a card table. Show the Cochin where it is by placing the chick up there. This will go a long way toward making it safe for this youngest member of the flock by providing an escape refuge.

Get some Blu-kote. It's better than Vaseline at wound healing and it camouflages the raw wound while it heals so chickens are less likely to peck at it.

Back
Top Bottom