$5 a dozen?? Phx Farmer's Market

LizFM

Songster
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Wow! Do you get that much for your eggs? I went to the Phoenix Farmer's Market today and saw that the going rate for eggs seems to be $5 dozen (2 doz for $9)? Not to mention that a bunch of finger-sized carrots or 5 radishes was going for $2 each.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for the ability of local produce raisers to make a good living, and they have to pay a portion to the market management, and the problems of industrial farming...and I realize you can't put a price on good food...but we just can't afford that. I don't see how people can unless they make a WHOLE lot more money than we do.

In fact, even though I understand the real cost of growing food well...I find it sad and disturbing to think that only relatively wealthy people could afford to pay prices like that for groceries.

And of course, yes you should grow your own veggies and eggs. But I live in a townhouse with no yard. The HOA fusses about the plants in pots around our townhouse, we have to keep our container garden practically up against the side of our house. Chickens are out of the question.

On a side note...what arethe regulations, if any, about BYCers selling their extra eggs? I'm sure it varies by location. Do most people have a problem doing it?

I usually give my eggs away,but my elderly neighbor refused freebies and so I said $1.She gave me $1.50.

If I sold to anyone else maybe I would ask $2.

I see them on craigslist for $2.50-$3 a dozen.

Recently a new law was passed in Ohio and the state started regulating many including the amish who cull and sell chickens.
Don't know if the state will start restricting egg sales too.I suppose people will have to raise and cull their own.Anyone who can't will have to buy through stores that will pass new regulations.

I get 3.25-4.50 a doz. I sell to individuals as well as local stores.
thumbsup.gif

one of the problems in america is that the legislations and laws are pro industrial farming and anti small farm. unless i did it under the table i can't imagine how many liscences i would need to sell my eggs or meat, luckily i don't depend on these as a source of income, but it's still tough on the farmers.

If Codex becomes law there will be international restrictions and licenses to buy. These will have to be UN approved. Vitamins will be a thing that can only be bought with doctor's prescription. Home gardening will become a licensed past time too with govt mandates about every aspect of your own garden. In England and Japan there are strict restrictions of how much you can grow on your own land.

it's supply and demand.. and it's "trendy" in some places to be able to say you gt your eggs from the farmers market or fresh from the farm..
although i don't know what it matters when you're around the water cooler at work.. lol... but i know it's a bragging right in some places....
trying to one up the person in the cubicle next to you... i have starbucks you have 7-11... i have farm fresh eggs yours are from the store...
rofl...

and in places where chickens aren't quite as common, the higher prices can be charged.. which tends to be the places were it's trendy

out here in vegas i've seen a growing number of people having a few hens in their tiny back yeards.. trying to help the food budget with eggs... my neighbor says just 6 months ago the 40lb bag of feed from walmart was $6- $7... now it's $12.. some say economy is bad... i think it's more walmart saw the sales going up and thought they oculd make more money.... oohh more people are keeping chickens?? this bag of food is no longer a once in a while sale i can charge more for it...

like when tiny dogs used to be reasonable priced, nw becasue they're trendy they're upwards of $1000 ... c'mon... for a pet that my chicken outweighs by 5 lbs... lol.. no thanks.. but people will pay it...

i'll find out what my mother-in-law pays for her eggs... she gets them brought in from the next town over by someone who works with her brother-in-law... and no, i wont sell her mine instead.. she's all snotty about if you feed your chickens organic then you have organic eggs.. i don't know if the ones she buys are organic, but hell, i don't give a crap what my chickens eat... they're healthy... and even if i give them organic food, has that bug out of the garden been graded organic?? oh crap.. there goes my label....

also, as far as regulations, i know there can be regulation for selling farm fresh eggs, but not so many if you're selling fertile hatching eggs... what people do with them after they leave your place is all up to them...
that's my story and i'm sticking to it.. they're hatching eggs..... yes i eat them... yes tehy're safe to eat... can you eat them.. i don't know... can you?? are you able???

i'm rambling.. sorry... lol... anyway.. i'll pop in tomorrow with a what eggs are going for in vegas update...

IMHO I think it is only going to get worse over the next few years. Hence my efforts to become self sufficient. The government is standing on our front door and they want to help us. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Just my opinion.
hide.gif

I get 2.50 a dozen with no problems--I have more customers than I have eggs for. Just got 6 more pullets this week, so hopefully can have enough for my customers and my family. Can't imagine getting 5.00 per dozen though!

Back
Top Bottom