5 week old pekin quickly fading

Chickens really... this is only my second time raising ducks. These ducklings were from our first batch of ducks a year ago. The strange thing is that you mentioned the medicated feed.. the first ducklings we had, we used non medicated and all 12 survived perfectly. Thanks for telling me about flock feed or waterfowl feed. I will be sure to fuse that moving forward. Just another quick update, I took him from the pain and was able to hold him and a towel well my husband had the scrambled eggs in front of his face. He seemed to really hungry and started eating the scrambled eggs but in the next second he flung it out of his mouth. He also ate some of the broccoli and did the same thing almost like one Ducks test their food. Last night we added vitamins and electrolytes and their water in hopes of improving vitamin needs. Thanks for your reply on this I greatly appreciate it. I guess at this point if he doesn't want to eat or drink it's only a matter of time. I checked its gullet and didn't notice anything different from the other ducks.
Okay..Your welcome and I hope he recovers..
Too much vitamin D is bad too. Hmm. Until you get the proper feed give them oatmeal with peas and egg. Cook the oatmeal first with the egg.
Glad you started the vitamins. Hope things get balanced soon..

Not much time has passed since my last post. Unfortunately I am almost 100% it's a neurological disorder now. As I was trying to read into a couple different issues, he started freaking out it almost looks like it was swimming ...And ran into a wall and began seizing with its legs spread out on its belly and I could hear its beak tapping against the end of the pen as he seized. I was sure that he was dead. After laying there for about 20 seconds it got back up... was stumbling around and ended up laying down in the corner of the pen. It breaks my heart to see it going through this.

Not much time has passed since my last post. Unfortunately I am almost 100% it's a neurological disorder now. As I was trying to read into a couple different issues, he started freaking out it almost looks like it was swimming ...And ran into a wall and began seizing with its legs spread out on its belly and I could hear its beak tapping against the end of the pen as he seized. I was sure that he was dead. After laying there for about 20 seconds it got back up... was stumbling around and ended up laying down in the corner of the pen. It breaks my heart to see it going through this.
I'm so sorry..I think it possibly is too far gone. brain swelling is a possibility and putting it down might be the best option...

I am very sorry you are going though this, but I can promise you that the medicated feed you fed had *nothing* to do with this. :hugs Purina make a medicated flock raiser labeled for use in ducks, Story's raising ducks and Metzer Farms say it's safe. The medications used are 100% safe for use in ducks. If they weren't, Purina would not make a medicated feed labeled for use in ducks, right?

Hypothermia, dehydration, and hypoglycemia are what I would address first. If he were mine I would place him in a warm room (80-85 degrees), then once warm enough I would tube Pedialyte at 8-10 ml per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes, then once more in 2-4 hours.

All caps now because this is important... NEVER FORCE FEED A HYPOGLYCEMIC OR DEHYDRATED BIRD because it can kill them.

Dehydration and hypoglycemia can cause these neurological symptoms, so that is what I would focus on. Tube feeding is much easier and safer than people think and I can teach anyone how to do it if you want to learn.

Last edited:
I am very sorry you are going though this, but I can promise you that the medicated feed you fed has nothing to do with this. :hugs

Hypothermia, dehydration, and hypoglycemia are what I would address first. If he were mine I would place him in a warm room (80-85 degrees), then once warm enough I would tube Pedialyte at 8-10 ml per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes, then once more in 2-4 hours.

All caps now because this is important... NEVER FORCE FEED A HYPOCLYCEMIC OR DEHYDRATED BIRD because it can kill them.

Dehydration and hypoglycemia can cause these neurological symptoms, so that is what I would focus on. Tube feeding is much easier and safer than people think and I can teach anyone how to do it if you want to learn.
Hmmm..I hope the OP follows

Thanks for posting about the concerns of dehydration. Dehydration is definitely a concern of mine seeing as I have not seen him eat or drink The times I've been watching him. The concern I have is why is he not eating or drinking and if it is dehydration the big question is why. The duckling is 5 weeks old is in a pen with a heat light and in a heated building. Within the pen he has constant access to water and feed. so I guess my point is if dehydration is causing this, what is causing him to not want to drink or eat in the first place. I appreciate everyone's input, I really do. Thank you

Thanks for posting about the concerns of dehydration. Dehydration is definitely a concern of mine seeing as I have not seen him eat or drink The times I've been watching him. The concern I have is why is he not eating or drinking and if it is dehydration the big question is why. The duckling is 5 weeks old is in a pen with a heat light and in a heated building. Within the pen he has constant access to water and feed. so I guess my point is if dehydration is causing this, what is causing him to not want to drink or eat in the first place. I appreciate everyone's input, I really do. Thank you
You make a good point, and yes, the dehydration is secondary to something else. Once dehydration is corrected, he should start to poop, and being able to look at his poop can give us an idea of what else might be going on. As you mentioned in one of your earlier posts, dehydration can cause constipation.

Back
Top Bottom