5 week old pekin quickly fading

Please provide a source that backs up this claim because all information I have says it's 100% safe.
View attachment 1260865
storeys_duck_medicated_feed_2-png.1204795
Stop already..:fl

Not all medicated feed is created equal. Not all medicated feed has the same medications in the same quantities. Not all feeds are available in all geographic locations. Also, medicated chick starter does not necessarily have the same medications in it today as it did years ago. What was unsafe in the past is no longer manufactured today. To cover all bases it is easier to say stay away from medicated chick starter than to say it's all safe, but the reality is that much of the medicated chick starter manufactured today is safe for ducklings. Also chick feed may be lacking in duckling nutrition in other ways.

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/11/can-medicated-feed-be-used-for.html

Please provide a source that backs up this claim because all information I have says it's 100% safe.
View attachment 1260865
storeys_duck_medicated_feed_2-png.1204795
Stop already..:fl
I am not insulting you just asking a simple question do you have proof of what your saying something you can post here so we can see? We want to make sure we give accurate information for our members.
Just stop..I'm not playing who is right or who is wrong..Not your thread. OP can decide who gives accurate information.

Not all medicated feed is created equal. Not all medicated feed has the same medications in the same quantities. Not all feeds are available in all geographic locations. Also, medicated chick starter does not necessarily have the same medications in it today as it did years ago. What was unsafe in the past is no longer manufactured today. To cover all bases it is easier to say stay away from medicated chick starter than to say it's all safe, but the reality is that much of the medicated chick starter manufactured today is safe for ducklings. Also chick feed may be lacking in duckling nutrition in other ways.

:goodpost:

Yes..Ducks are NOT Chickens and have very specific dietary needs..Anyways...

:goodpost:Medicated feed is not the issue here, I guarantee that.

For those that don't click on links, this is what the above link says"
"Medicated Starter
by KJ Theodore
Is it safe to use medicated Starter/Grower for my waterfowl?

Yes, provided that the medication in the feed is Amprolium. Bacitracin is also safe but not as common. Medicated feed was once considered toxic to waterfowl due to the arsenic and sulfa based products that were typically used. Since Amprolium is now widely used as a coccidiostat in most medicated feeds, this is no longer a concern, and is probably beneficial. (Amprolium is so safe that it is approved for the use in laying hens.) I use medicated Starter/Grower exclusively for my waterfowl."

Last edited:
@Kgriffith0712 , how is your duck today? I was thinking that maybe you could go to Tractor Supply and get some Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, or maybe a bottle of the vitamin B complex for cattle. I think I remember reading that someone's duck was having seizures due to B deficiency.

I have a semi good update. After returning home from some errands yesterday, I noticed he was standing by the water drinking with his brothers and sisters. This morning I woke up and decided to get him out of the pen and sit on the floor and try to feed him the eggs and broccoli again along with his Vitamin Water (which is being given to all of them.) He would drink some of the water but wouldn't touch the food so I decided to mix the eggs and broccoli into the water almost like soup. And to my surprise it worked and he started eating the soup like mixture. Not to mention he even pooped which I was so relieved to see. The poop was a bit frothy and a brownish color. But the bad side is that he ended up having another seizure while I was feeding him. The seizure was the exact same in manner as the one I saw him have yesterday. And this morning as well as yesterday he seems to still have tremors or ticks. So I'm going to continue to research on deficiencies and try to see if we can relieve the tremors or frequency of the seizures. This may just be me thinking this, but it almost appears that his tremors get worse the more noise and commotion going on around him. But I'm relieved because if he's eating drinking and pooping he does have a better chance of surviving.

Back
Top Bottom