72 hrs post pip gosling HELP please

Oneofmarysgirls

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 13, 2012
I have two goose eggs that are now 72 hrs post pip. Four hatched two days ago. I think the humidity was too high and the 02 too low at some point because I’ve had two sticky babies hatch of the four that are out. These two still peep but haven’t made any progress I. 24 hrs. They got rolled about quite a bit by the hatched ones before I took the hatched siblings out (hatched during the night)
I’m not sure what to do. It looks like when they lost some shell in the fray, but the membrane bled a little. It looks papery and white now. Pics below. The only time I’ve ever helped a gosling out it ended up being “underdone” w/yolk still I absorbed and it died. But 72 hours is a long time. Help please. They peep when I talk to them. And seem to struggle but haven’t repositioned at all.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 2
I hatch quite a few goslings each season, and am in the thick of it now. While waterfowl can take a long time to go from pip to hatch, 72 hours would indicate to me that something is wrong, and I would intervene now. Definitely review Pyxis's guide that @SilverBirds linked to above before you attempt to assist.

Once you've applied coconut oil to the membrane, you'll have a better idea of how close to ready for hatch the goslings are and how to proceed (per Pyxis's instructions). If the blood vessels are dry around their heads, I would aim to free the head but leave the rest of the goslings in the shell, in case the yolk isn't fully absorbed or the navel is unhealed. You may want to consider placing the goslings in cups, too, if you can tell that the yolks are still absorbing. I like to do this to help keep the goslings from accidentally injuring the umbilical area, and to facilitate absorption via gravity.

You may find that these two will need some TLC and be a bit behind the others, but it is possible for them to grow stronger and catch up with the others fairly quickly. I'd have Poultry Nutri-Drench on hand to offer by mouth (I use a Q-tip and just touch the liquid to the corner of the bill, rather than trying to put the liquid inside) to support them if they need special care.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom