911 Help! *Warning graphic photo*

Tscott91108

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated... my year old Australorp hen is bleeding from vent area and seems as if something is hanging out as well. She was not like that yesterday nor showed any signs of being ill or in distress. She will not let me close to her. I don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• A6509234-2B0A-409B-8206-E77DC773C753.jpeg
    A6509234-2B0A-409B-8206-E77DC773C753.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 23
I agree, it looks like a prolapsed vent. But it also seems to be more damage than just a simple prolapsed vent. Maybe some pecking at it. I've never had to deal with it, but i know some heal on their own, while others require veterinary care and/or surgery. It doesn't look like a simple self healing case, so take this opinion as you wish.

Is she where she can be vulnerable to preditors? It seems like more trauma than just a prolapsed vent. Maybe a prolapsed vent that has been aggressively picked at by other chickens or even preditors.

Place her in a warm bath. Add Epsom Salt if you want to. Even if everything does go back, she still could be up for infection. You might want to cull. I'm suggesting the warm bath first, though.

She may be behaving okay at the moment, but she has very serious damage to her cloaca and this prolapse may be too far gone to treat and expect any sort of recovery where she can resume normal life.

You can try to treat it, but I doubt it would do any good. I would euthanize her and save her the suffering that is no doubt in store for her.

Back
Top Bottom