A hundred bucks a meal? Are you guys pulling my leg? With poll

How many of you spend a hundred dollars on a meal for a couple?

• I do weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do monthly

• I do yearly

• I have, but only a few times

• I never have but would like to

• No! Are you outta your everlovin' mind?!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I hate to admit it but before I was married sometimes I would go out and spend $200 on a meal for two people at a sushi place. Granted some of that bill is for sake. But now I have to come to terms with the fact that this was just ridiculous.
hmm.png
Where did I come up with the money for that kind of thing? I have no idea, but I could NEVER even imagine spending that much now. I've done a complete 180 and am super cheap. If I can make it at home I will not eat out, it's at a select number of places where I know we can eat for under $20 for the two of us.

Quote:
Very good point, seen people spend more than 100.00 for a single chicken......

Yep we can't take it with us , so enjoy those great meals , 100.00 around here doesn't buy much, heck a good bottle of champagne can cost well over 100.00

Quote:
I would say that anybody who likes good food, is as articulate and good natured as you are, has no reason to worry in the least about feeling out of place at a Ritzy restaurant. If you ever have some mad money and want to do something special for a special occasion give it a shot. Keep in mind that a lot of these crazy tabs involve expensive booze and wine.

Just to mention an upscale chain restaurant, someplace like Ruths Chris, a couple could probably eat for about $50-60 with no alchohol. If you tell them it's your birthday or anniversary when you make reservations they will hook you up with a free dessert. : )

I splurge a bit for our annivesary on the years I can afford to and I'm lucky enough to have a sweet wife that understands on the years I can't

love.gif

I love hearing about couples who not only help each other through the good times and the bad, but ones who can look fondly at both these things. Sounds like a wonderful life.​

If we have a couple drinks the bill will usually go to about a hundred. Without alcohol at a nice place $60 is around the norm. Entree's are usually $15-$27 and that is usually quite filling. My favorite is Thai food..coconut milk curry dishes and sweet Jasmine rice. There are some great sushi places here too and one specialty roll may be $10. I have even been to a few places that didn't have prices on the menu (yikes) and a place where there was a person designated to ensure all drinks were topped up and if you left the table they would fold your napkin/replace it. I am sure each meal at those places cost about $60+ each but I can't be certain.

I am more about taste overall though. There is an amazing Ethiopian place here that is so delicious..everything is made fresh..and it costs very little. I would sooner eat something ethnic with exotic flavors than some steak/fish dinner I could cook (with much effort of course) at home. I guess what I am saying is I would pay more for specialty dishes than regular ones but not all exotic cooking is $$$.

This thread is what I was thinking of.....

DD hurt her foot. I spoke to the doc vi phone who said bring her in right now. Then I realized I had no car (in the shop) so I called a neighbor and begged please take us I'll get us all dinner when we're done. (This was all as I was getting ready for dinner.)

So she drives us to the doctor, it turns out to be a strain and she'll be fine.

So I offer the person dinner, I say the kids want fast food, but there is a chinese place right over there. Driver says no, I saw an Applebees's let's go there.

hide.gif

What am I going to do say NO?

Two adults, two kids who eat like adults, $70. Add $20 co-pay and I dropped $90 because DD twisted her foot.
idunno.gif

The food was only OK but the dessert was great! I'll give it that.

Quote:
I would say that anybody who likes good food, is as articulate and good natured as you are, has no reason to worry in the least about feeling out of place at a Ritzy restaurant. If you ever have some mad money and want to do something special for a special occasion give it a shot. Keep in mind that a lot of these crazy tabs involve expensive booze and wine.

Just to mention an upscale chain restaurant, someplace like Ruths Chris, a couple could probably eat for about $50-60 with no alchohol. If you tell them it's your birthday or anniversary when you make reservations they will hook you up with a free dessert. : )

I had a rib eye at Ruths Chris about 20 years ago that was the best steak I had ever eaten. I was on a business trip with a 25.00 a day limit. It was right under the limit. I just kind of wandered in. Didn't know it was considered a really good steak house.

A nice restaurant is a rare treat. We have a restaurant here in Denver called The Broker. Linen table cloths and all. They used to have great food. It was around 100.00 before tip. The meal included a choice of entrees with a huge bowl of chilled shrimp for an appetizer, bread, vegetables, regular drink and a delicious desert. If you each had a drink it was about 140 with tip. They had 2 locations. The one we always ate at burned down and wasn't rebuilt. We went to the other one downtown because they were doing a free Bday meal with purchase of another. It wasn't near as good as usual. I usually had prime rib and this time I got lamb chops. I was disappointed.

Like everything else you don't always get what you pay for.

It isn't hard to rack up a $100 bill for a couple at a restaurant.

Appetizer: $10
Two $25 entrees: $50
Two drinks a piece: $20
20% tip $16

Total $96

If we go to a place with $10-$12 entrees we can usually expect around a $50 tab for a couple.

For $20 entrees I usually expect around $80.

$25 entrees pushes it to around $100 a couple.

A nice bottle of wine will push up the cost of a meal a minimum of $25. The restaurant mark up on wine is usually 200-300%, so that a bottle of wine that would cost you $15 at the store is going to cost you $30-45 in a restaurant.

appetizer; $10-15
entrees $50
dessert $10-15
wine $25-30
tip of 20%

Add coffee or an after dinner drink and you're getting closer to $150.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom