Adoption Rant....

Quote:
but to pigeon hole me because of the rest is not fair either.. and yes I know life's not fair... its like saying because you live in a certain neighborhood you are poor too... WRONG!!! ... I have recommendations from my vet and the OVC (Ontario Veterinary College) the governing body for ALL vets in the province... and they still said NO!... thats just wrong.. when someone has the recommendations of VERY reputable sources that should carry weight too!

Last edited:
So they would just rather put them to sleep than take a chance on someone that comes with good recommendations
roll.png
This is why I hate most shelters. They are completely full of themselves.

Quote:
its not a matter of fencing or no fencing... they ASSUME because I dont have a fence I will allow the dog to roam... an unfenced yard means the dog is on leash ALL the time and for them to assume I am not suitable because of a fence is crazy... I am responsible! my dogs are NEVER outside without a leash. If I am outside just chilling my dogs have what I call a zip line... I have 100ft long clothes line... I attach a 50ft flexi lead to that clothes line so the dogs have total roam of the yard are are still on a leash. I had my 100+lb malamute on this line and she could not pull it down and she was a sled dog!

My dogs will get tangled every once and a while and yep I gotta get off my butt and untangle them BUT I know where they are..

Yep! Had dogs for many years before we put in a fence..(only put the fence in cause of the birds)..
We used a zip line across our whole yard too..or a leash. Its not rocket science.
roll.png

Quote:
I think this is why for the first time in over 30 years the city of Guelph has requested for tenders to be submitted for the animal control/shelter contract.. I think there have been to many complaints about the current provider

I was going to adopt a pyr mix pup from the shelter last year and they commented that I had a few animals ( I have 10 acres) and that I needed to produce evidence of all the vaccination records for every animal on my property before they would consider adopting this dog to me, this included the horses. I could understand the dogs and cats, they had no need to see the vaccination records for the horses. I felt this was a bit over the top. I had vet references, including the ones I had worked for before and they insisted that I had to have the actual documents showing all the vaccines for everyone. I had all the stuff just didn't know I needed it to adopt them, one cat was over due by a month when I called back on monday they told me the pup had been adopted. She was cute. So I got a free one from CL that is now the most expensive dog I've ever known due to having to have his leg fixed where he ran into the horse pasture and got kicked.

Karen

Quote:
I just realized your 40 minutes from me! That boxer from Plattsburg is beautiful!!!

She was very pretty. Luckily for her(not me) She was adopted today. Her status was changed to adopted dog from adoptable dog. I am glad she found a home. I will not give up my search though.

I intend to keep a pup out of this years beagle breeding. The pups turned out fantastic last time, I have been meaning to do a repeat breeding in hopes of aquiring Apple's replacement for in a few years when she is spayed and retired from hunting and a couch dog. I will probably then complete her CGC and use her as a therapy dog.

There are a lot of good people and good shelters but by and far a lot of donated money goes towards
euthanasia and a lot of publicity pulling heart strings for more money. There really needs to be some more
public accountability and auditing. Locally I know of a couple that work with a national pet shop that does
rescue adoptions. They live in an expensive house with a very expensive cat shelter/hospital in their backyard.
They run ads in the paper looking for their "lost" cat and also collect loose cats in the neighborhood. They do
not advertise the "found" cats and make people jump through hoops to get them back if they figure out where
their cat is. Please note some nationwide pet chains ask for donations everytime you shop from them for shelters.
Imagine how much money that amounts to, not to mention pleas for money from all forms of media. Even Animal Planet
seems more desperate finding "abused" animals to take away. The last time I watched there was a lady living on an
acre feeding stray cats. The cats and the lady looked happy but one or two of the cats had torn ears from fights. Lucky
for the cats they got rounded up and euthanised. I think it would have been nice to neuter the cats for the lady and
let them live. I would say stop giving money until there is more accountability. It does seem very odd that nice people are
having a hard time adopting pets. That boxer pup needs rescuing from the shelter.

I have had trouble with some rescues. I have a couple cats that were declawed when they were young. I no longer believe that is at all in the best interest of the cats and no longer do it. My DH built a monstrous kitty tower/Taj Majal and our most recent 2 cats love it and have never gone after the furniture. What I don't understand is that when i tried to adopt a cat from a "rescue" group they flipped out and refused to let me have one. I explained that although I had previous cats declawed, I would not be doing it to any new cats. My question, is why deny an animal a home? Is it better to be euthanized than have no front claws? Really? What if the person has a wonderful home, but some very pricey furniture? I can assure you that the 2 declawed cats I have are very healthy and happy. They even come outside when we can be out with them. Not to mention, this "rescue" lady had like 60 cats in her house. Is that better then a home that might declaw?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom