Advice needed on redoing a building for layers and breeders

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
Im planing on moving my birds to a new building next year. The building is 25x25 ft with a loft. I was thinking of doing a run 25x50 ft. It was going to be for silkies only. I am now thinking of moving my layers into the building. My layers are free range though. I do not want to free range the silkies but i do want to have a run for them. How can i blend them? I just need nest boxes for the layers but need lots of space for the silkies. Any ideas? This was an old two car garage so it has two large sliding doors.

Sounds awesome! but it'll be hard to let the layers out without letting the silkes out if you let them co-mingle. And they don't listen very well either..

We just did a new building for our breeding chickens one building divided in the middle with two runs out the back, each run out the back also has another gate that opens up to the pasture for free range making it so I can keep them in or let them out as needed. I would love to see any one elses design/ideas for small breeding pens for trios? or breeding pairs that you want to cross a certain rooster with a certain hen?

Quote:
Id like to keep them apart somehow. But how to do it and have a run for the silkes as well?

Is there a reason not to just split the building into two big ol' pens, one of which opens to a run and the other of which opens to the great outdoors? (You can leave some of the building as storage or for future breeding pens or whatever, too). That would certainly be the simplest, *very* simple.

Or am I not understanding what you want to do?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Id like to keep them apart somehow. But how to do it and have a run for the silkes as well?

Is there a reason not to just split the building into two big ol' pens, one of which opens to a run and the other of which opens to the great outdoors? (You can leave some of the building as storage or for future breeding pens or whatever, too). That would certainly be the simplest, *very* simple.

Or am I not understanding what you want to do?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

That would be the simplest way. I just want to do this with stuff i have on hand. I wonder if a short wall and gate down the middle would work. How high can silkies fly.

Back
Top Bottom