Afraid to eat eggs now.....

I think it actually takes > 24 hours for development to begin?

As for fear of eating good fresh eggs, I have no good ideas on that...
First, it takes a rooster. If you don't want fertile eggs, don't have a rooster. Problem solved.
Second, it takes a broody. All the eggs in the world will not develop embryos if there is no broody hen sitting on them all day long.
Third, if no broody is available you would have to put the eggs in an incubator to simulate the conditions a broody hen would provide.
So, if your hen lays an egg, then sits for 10 minutes, then walks away to join the flock, or if you find eggs that are no longer warm from hen body temperature, then your eggs are perfect for sunny side up.

I admit I have a hard time eating eggs for a bit after hatching. Its nothing about being "afraid" of the egg being fertile or the fact that it could have been a baby for me. It's just kind of a gross out thing. Particularly after assisting a call duck hatch. It takes me a few days to wanna eat eggs. It's the sights and smells of the hatching eggs that sticks in my mind and kinda turns me off of wanting to cook and egg.
But I get over it pretty quickly cause I like eating eggs :gig

After hatching my little boogers, I'm afraid to eat eggs now...... not store bought eggs but the ones my hen laid...

How do I get over this fear and go for it?

You get over all of your fears by going for it and ignoring those fears.
:sickTry this. Use your pocket knife to knock the small end off of a smoking hot fresh chicken egg then do the old hound dog thing and suck down the contents of the open egg shell right on down your goozle. This way there is no chance whatsoever that you will be eating a fuzzy baby chick.:drool

My aversion after a hatch is more about “dang it, I could have hatched this one!” For a few days then I get over it. But I do understand how you feel. It will pass. Or just eat eggs when you’re not in your hatching season?

Do you eat chicken?
If so, what's the problem? Maybe you don't like eating babies...you probably ought to stop eating meat then. Lamb, normally killed at three months...babies. Similar for the beef you eat and the pork etc.
If the above doesn't work then consider how a hen will abandon fertile eggs right up to hatching stage if the hatchings don't coincide.
Still not enough?..
Watch how a mum treats her lovely cuddly, can't do enough for them after the mothering period is over.
Lastly, if you don't eat them someone else will.:p

Back
Top Bottom