Aggressive Rooster

"Nasty roosters taste best!" is a quote from another BYC expert, and it's so true. If I had a nasty hen, she'd go to the crockpot too. Recently I talked to a newer chicken owner who has a hen who isn't broody, but attacks him daily. Who needs it? Temperment breeds on, as does size and coloring. Mary

It tends to run in certain bloodlines. It can be passed through either the rooster or the hen. It is partly genetic, and partly a learned behavior . They learn a lot of behaviors by watching mom and dad. As I said before, it happens with most other animals, too. I had a female rabbit who was as mean as a junkyard dog, but I didn't want to give her up. She was very beautiful, so I just did not handle her other than putting her in with the buck to breed. Every single one of her babies was mean. Would attack you when you opened the door to their cages. Finally gave it up and culled the whole line.

Yup. It was. Rabbits bite really hard, and don't let go. It hurts real bad. So when my last rooster hit me and I had to get stitches, I got rid of him the day after it happened. The one I have now seems pretty nice, so we will see how it goes.

Spur removal is ok. They can be sawed off with a small hacksaw, which I would do with any rooster that has spurs, but, it won't make a rooster any less aggressive. He will just bruise the heck out of you rather than cut you. Also, some roosters will sharpen their spurs as they grow. They know what their equipment is for. And keep in mind that a man fighter can take an eye out of a small child, or kill a dwarf or pigmy goat. They hit hard. It is their only defense.

Back
Top Bottom