Aggrevated... Welfare Garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they'll ever find a really good system for welfare distribution. It would require even more regulation than there already is. There is a real need for it and it's going to get a lot worse. I wish my family could eat as cheaply as some of you are saying. We eat a lot of caseroles and chicken. The only meat we eat is hamburger. We have 2 freezers and always stock up at thanksgiving, x-mas and easter when the turkeys and hams are on sale for cheap. We always shop at Sam's and my wife is always looking for ways to save money on food. Canning and that kind of stuff. We have a family of 8 and spend about 1200 a month on food and basic stuff like t-paper and soap. It seems like every time we go to Sam's, prices are up a little more. This economy is snowballing the wrong way.

Could we just send this thread to every high school student in the world? Those who think they're smart enough to make it without college? Those who don't take grades seriously?

There is more competition and fewer jobs. Pride is an uncommon trait. Regardless of where you have been...there are no limits to where you can go.

As for older folks...the same holds true. You are only as good as you believe you are. Do something about it. Only you have the power.

Just a friendly reminder that these types of threads get of of hand. It is not our place to judge others for what they need or don't need.

If you wish to offer an opinion or advice, be sure it is not unkind and make sure it is constructive.
Thanks.

There are some people who abuse the welfare system. But others that do not. When you live in small towns where the jobs are low paying. And a tourist town where housing is high.

My husband works 40 hours a week. We live in one of the cheapest apartments in town that lets you have pets. And with rent and utilities there is barely any thing left in the winter months for food. Because utilities are way higher in the winter. There is no use for me to get a job that pays $7 an hour. And send both of my kids to day care at $3 an hour for each kid. That would total $6 an hour for day care. Only leaving me $1 an hour pay, but that wouldnt even pay for the taxs taken out of the checks. So I would be in the minus. And be in worse money troubles if I got a job.

So yes there is some years, in the winter time. That we have to apply for food stamps. But as soon as we reach the limit of money you can make. We report it so they can cancel our food stamps.

Not every one works the system and rips people off. Some people really need the help.

It also helps to shop for deals. Like reduced meats. And we eat more chicken which is cheaper. Every year I container garden. To add extra canned food to my shelves. I have container grown blueberry plants to.

But every one needs some help some times. But I think the times are going to get even harder I hear. Many jobs are being lost. Or people are getting layed off of work.

Even though my family has used food stamps.. I too, have seen some families refuse to go get work and only get assistance. That makes me mad to. Because they are using the money that could have been given to some one who really needed it..

we manage there is not a day that goes by that we don't have something to eat. I fixed a meatloaf today yesterday we had pork chops I got it on sale and dh got paid thursday so I had to spend money I did not have oh well what are the bill collectors going to do take away my birthday . lol. I might as well laugh about it cause there is no use in crying.

And don't get me wrong I know that people abuse the system I know people personally that do , but not everyone does some people really do need it . I just wish everyone the best if I could I would help people I have helped people but the way things are going right now it is hard to do.
also dh might be getting laid off

Quote:
Not legally they weren't. I finally had to drop out of school here because they would not let me work, one semester short of being done
roll.png

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I'm glad to be vegetarian. Meat prices are so high and it must be hard even for those working to feed a family. My grocery bill in summer & fall is almost nothing....

On topic, there is a house near me that is rented by a family, $250 per month rent. The man is on disability for his back, yet he dug a big garden by hand, built a hog pen & chicken coop and carried the new washer & dryer into the house. The woman has two children. They get assistance, yet every weekend there are parties with friends, beer & barbeque. They bought a port-a -porch, (one of those big tents with mosquito netting) and so were unable to come up with the rent that month. The woman was able to get the church to pay the rent.
One day, one of the kids came over and asked if I had any food.
I gave him a peanut butter sandwich, it was gone in three bites. Two more sandwiches later he was thirsty,so I gave him some water. He complained that it wasn't soda. After that, almost every day there was a knock at the door. Can I have laundry soap, food, stuff from your garden (their garden got overrun with weeds), eggs (their chickens wouldn't lay because they fed them squirrel food), apples from our orchard to feed the pig, on and on. I finally stopped answering the door and thankfully they were evicted and moved away.

The thing is, while at times I felt sorry for them, other times I was angry. Why not offer to help me weed the garden in exchange for some of the food? Any offer of help with anything and I would have been more than willing to share what I have. Very frustrating.....

Some states have enacted a 2 1/2 year limit on the reception of Welfare/General Relief/Foodstamps. However, if there are minor children in the home from newborn to age 18 and only one parent then the benefits can be extended. There is also a program called WIC in which mothers can get formula, eggs, cheese, milk as long as the child is under 5 years old.

Many years ago, before I left California to come to Kentucky, my secular job ended a month before it was expected. When I went to apply for GR I was told I couldn't qualify for it, even though it was only for 1 month.

Being a single male, with no dependents, I cannot get Welfare assistance, food stamps, until my Unemployment runs out because I make too much money from that. Hopefully before then my SSI will be approved and I can live off that.

But in the meantime, I have to budget my money as carefully as anybody else, to pay the rent, utilities, car insurance, etc. I am fortunate in that I had parents who taught me how to grow my own food, preserve it, shop for bargains, use coupons, and cut expenses as much as possible.

I also research ways become more and more self-sufficient so that I don't have to depend on public assistance.

There is a time and place for welfare...it should be on a very temporary basis when someone loses a job or there is a death of a working spouse, etc.
I also agree with the poster who suggested that it should be like social security and you can get out what you put in...

Those who complain about not having money to eat but still have 3 or 4+ children, numerous pets, internet access, etc. is ridiculous. Those who complain that they need welfare because their alcoholic, drug-addicted husband won't work or pay child support...guess what??? You reap what you sow. Honest, hard-working taxpayers should not be burdened by others poor lifestyle decisions.

The only problem I have with a pay in/pay out welfare system in one of
management. Americans pay 13% of their income into the SS system plus
an additional 2% for Medicare/Medicaid. To convert to this type of system
we would create even more beurocracy to regulate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom