Air conditioning the coop?

I left this thread feeling silly and needed to walk away from it. Yesterday it got to 101° in Minneapolis. I see a bird dragging wings on the ground and panting audibly (ragged breathing) she comes inside for 15 minutes and I hold feet in cool water. Grab another bird, repeat. Spraying down the grass they walk in, though it seems like it dries up in minutes. Water everywhere, I bought giant dog bowls that are short enough for them to accidentally walk into (to encourage them to do it and get evaporative cooling going), in every area the birds like to be on the property, so they don't need to go far for it, check the temp of the water and refresh all bowls and buckets (I have two 10 gallon nipple waterers too) several times a day. They do not like ice/frozen fruit or veggies, the temperature must be uncomfortable and when they can't peck anything off the ice they walk away. Frozen peas and watermelon isn't nutritious anyway and could potentially displace good nutrition from their crumble and forage so this doesn't upset me much.

They do not look good. I felt like an idiot wanting air conditioning after talking to others, but every website I've read says my birds are exhibiting major signs of heat stroke and I'm running out of things to try. I did research on evaporative cooling techniques but the humidity here hasn't dropped below wet bulb 55 in weeks and is often at 70 or more. Evaporative cooling works when the air is dry. The air is not dry, it's wet, gross and just shy of being a beverage you breathe.

Someone said something to the effect that AC would exit out the door. No it will not. There's a square 8" door the chickens come in and out of and the rest of the building is secure. It is built on a concrete foundation and designed to match my house, with matching windows, siding, roofing. It is ventilated and insulated and if I wanted to, I could put a couch and a TV in there. I'm not concerned about the cool air leaving the building and whatever does vent out that 8" door, oh well cost of living pets, I'll pay it.

I'm thinking my next plan is to buy a giant case freezer and fill it with 5 gallon buckets with water in them. At noon, pull the ice buckets and direct fans to blow across them. This was a method I read from someone else, who claimed it dropped their coop from 104 to 86. I love that this will cost me twice as much or more than the AC to pull off.

Last edited:
Someone said something to the effect that AC would exit out the door. No it will not.

If your AC would not exit out the ventilation then your coop is BADLY underventilated. :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...#:~:text=Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Do they have DEEP shade (preferably natural shade under vegetation), and access to the ground so that they can dig into the cooler layers under the surface?

I personally do not disturb my chickens during the worst heat of the day because I don't want them running around getting even more heated up. I let them hang out in their shady "foxholes".

0729211220_hdr-jpg.2971980

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

If your AC would not exit out the ventilation then your coop is BADLY underventilated. :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/authors/3killerbs.36480/#:~:text=Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Do they have DEEP shade (preferably natural shade under vegetation), and access to the ground so that they can dig into the cooler layers under the surface?

I personally do not disturb my chickens during the worst heat of the day because I don't want them running around getting even more heated up. I let them hang out in their shady "foxholes".

0729211220_hdr-jpg.2971980

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/
There's venting under all the eaves all the way around and 4 windows I keep open in the summer. I can't vent it anymore unless I took the roof off

If it is so badly ventilated you'd think I'd have no toes or combs on any birds but I have no frostbite in my flock even after those -30 weeks. If that means none of the AC stays, oh well it's working in front of the roost poles isn't it? I did the "ventilation" song and dance the first polar vortex we had after I moved here. I read every ventilation article and made every change I could to my building. No more frostbite. But again I don't care if some cool air leaves, that's part and parcel of AC. It's not a house and I'm not 5 and my mom isn't yelling at me to shut the door, I'm an adult and this is my property and if I want to "waste" cool air out my eaves a bit so my pets don't suffer and die, ok

Half my property is under riverbirch trees. I can walk around the place and take pictures. They have a dust bath area in the earth that's shaded, their water is all in shade, they choose shady spots, but they are still hot.

This is frustrating

Last edited:
Even in high humidity evaporative cooling works. Arrange a fan so it blows air into the coop and is situated behind a wet towel. It sounds crude but it really works.
I will be doing that for myself again later in the week as my A/C has died and there is a waiting list for replacement parts.
Last summer I hung a wet sheet over the chicken coop window and had a fan on a table outside blowing air in. That worked, but as I have a dirt floor I decided that soaking the floor of the coop was easier and just as effective.
As @aart said electrolytes are important if your chickens have heat stroke.

Even in high humidity evaporative cooling works. Arrange a fan so it blows air into the coop and is situated behind a wet towel. It sounds crude but it really works.
I will be doing that for myself again later in the week as my A/C has died and there is a waiting list for replacement parts.
Last summer I hung a wet sheet over the chicken coop window and had a fan on a table outside blowing air in. That worked, but as I have a dirt floor I decided that soaking the floor of the coop was easier and just as effective.
As @aart said electrolytes are important if your chickens have heat stroke.
A swamp cooler will not work in high humidity.

There's venting under all the eaves all the way around and 4 windows I keep open in the summer. I can't vent it anymore unless I took the roof off

If it is so badly ventilated you'd think I'd have no toes or combs on any birds but I have no frostbite in my flock even after those -30 weeks. If that means none of the AC stays, oh well it's working in front of the roost poles isn't it? I did the "ventilation" song and dance the first polar vortex we had after I moved here. I read every ventilation article and made every change I could to my building. No more frostbite. But again I don't care if some cool air leaves, that's part and parcel of AC. It's not a house and I'm not 5 and my mom isn't yelling at me to shut the door, I'm an adult and this is my property and if I want to "waste" cool air out my eaves a bit so my pets don't suffer and die, ok

Half my property is under riverbirch trees. I can walk around the place and take pictures. They have a dust bath area in the earth that's shaded, their water is all in shade, they choose shady spots, but they are still hot.

This is frustrating
Could you partition part of the shed where the ac is so the cold air stays inside?...Like maybe a low corner and put up temporarily 2 walls and a ceiling with some insulation panels and maybe a hole just big enough for the chickens to enter.

This could be your summer set up.

Yesterday it got to 101° in Minneapolis. I see a bird dragging wings on the ground and panting audibly (ragged breathing)

Do you have shade in the chicken run? If so, what is the temp in the shade? I'm just 4 hours north of you, and we got up to 95F in the sun the other day, but my chickens did just fine staying in the shade all day. Last year, during a heat wave, I did see a few chickens spread out their wings to cool themselves down. So, this year, I have provided more shade for them in the chicken run and I hope that will help. I never felt my chickens were in danger of heat stroke, but I can understand your concern.

If you want to provide AC for your chicken coop, then that's your decision. Like I said, I know one local breeder who has a totally climate controlled setup year round for his breeding birds. He does not apologize for having his birds in his climate controlled setup. It's worth it to him.

Back
Top Bottom