All my sweet birds are gone. What to do?

yickenscarf23

Songster
Oct 24, 2018
Indiana
This morning I woke up to a pack of big husky looking mixes and pitbulls chasing my horses. I ran outside to see that they had already torn the entire side off of my chicken coop that we had thought we built so securely (my fiance is a builder by profession). All of my ladies, my ducklings, and my sweet rooster were dead. I asked around and found out who the dogs belonged to and paid them a visit. Sure enough the dogs were all loose in their yard with blood & feathers visible on the Huskies. The owners were young boys in their 20s and did not seem to care AT ALL. Not an "I'm sorry". NOTHING. I asked if the dogs could be kept on a chain or indoors and explained that my neighbors and family have very small children and the dogs seemed dangerous. The owners just walked inside.

I called animal control and the police and both came. They, too, did not seem to care. They said the blood & feathers werent really evidence and that I needed photos of the dogs attacking. We borrowed some trail cams and put them up in case they come back.

I'm at a loss. This pack of dogs is terrorizing the neighborhood. I warned all the neighbors not to let the small kids get off the bus alone. And I miss my little birds so much. I want to rebuild but how the hell does a dog rip the side off a shed?

Anyway I'm just venting. It's been a terrible day and I'm out of tears.

So sorry!
If you want to rebuild, electric fence would keep them out.

Maybe you could set up a pen with some kind of bait inside, a dead bird or something, and film them getting into it? At least prove that they're causing you trouble. Or film them bothering your other livestock.

Probably the dogs are doing this because they aren't getting enough enrichment. They're bored, in other words. Which, unfortunately, isn't considered an animal cruelty violation. I also don't think you can get them considered dangerous for killing the chickens- most places don't consider that a dangerous dog, which IMO is reasonable. Plenty of dogs would go after chickens, rats, and the like, but nothing else.

How awful! I would be so mad & upset.

How big is your coop? Could you fence around it?

If it were me I would put up a sturdy fence or pen around the coop then put electric fencing around that. I would also consider putting an electric fence at a couple heights around your horse pasture too to help deter the dogs.

If all else fails and you are in an area that allows the use of guns on predators then defend your stock. It sounds like the authorities have been less than helpful.

I never thought of electric fence. That's a definite purchase when we begin to fix everything. It is inside of a fence that had boards buried a few inches and there's a dog sized hole dug underneath it. I've never seen domestic pets with the manic pack mentality these ones do. It just gets me so heated. The horses are going to be locked up in the barn because there really isn't a way to put electric fence around their pasture it's probably 30 acres of property. The cops out here are useless. He told me all they can do is request the dog be kept up.

If all else fails and you are in an area that allows the use of guns on predators then defend your stock. It sounds like the authorities have been less than helpful.
:thumbsup Or traps.

Sounds like the "3-S" practice needs to come into play. Especially when they start going for horses. Indication that instinct is taking over and the pack mentality is giving them the confidence that they can take larger "prey." You warned the owners and they didn't want to have a discussion, so I say fix the problem and be done with it.

Where are you?! 30 acres is open country. You have the right to protect your stock. They come back, shoot the damn things.

There is also, I'm sure a county ordinace about dogs roaming and livestock damages. Find it. Go to the county seat if you have to and get the attack on paper. That's offense #1. There shouldn't be a #2.

Bad owners tick me off.

Where are you?! 30 acres is open country. You have the right to protect your stock. They come back, shoot the damn things.

There is also, I'm sure a county ordinace about dogs roaming and livestock damages. Find it. Go to the county seat if you have to and get the attack on paper. That's offense #1. There shouldn't be a #2.

Bad owners tick me off.
Yes, this is the much more diplomatic approach. Not to sound like a trigger-happy nut, but depending on the situation you might not want to have too much of a paper trail of complaints if they aren't going to solve the problem. Just be careful, don't break any laws, and think about what actions will get you to the place where you feel your animals are safe.

Don't worry about the paper trail. Get photos, document what you went through today and who you spoke to and their replies and reactions. Take it all to the county. Get it all notorized and hang on to it! Let them know you are doing it too. So that when these dogs get out and wild again and go after a person/child there is record that they've been at it before and nothing was done on the public at large's behalf.

(I spent all day yesterday dealing with two instances of bad dog owners.)

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. This is heartbreaking to you and your fiancé. Second I agree put up cams, next time it might be your horses . Call the state Animal warden . They are above animal control who could care less, but most state wardens take their job seriously and will pay a visit to said house. Most animals cannot run freely off property and if they do can be fined. My state will fine 500.00 per animal per incident. Most times a visit will set things straight.

State Of Indiana
15-20-2-2 Authority to kill dog in act of killing or injuring livestock

Sec. 2. A person who observes a dog in the act of killing or injuring livestock may kill the dog if the person has the consent of the person in possession of the real estate on which the dog is found.

===============

15-17-6-10 Police duties to impound or destroy animals running at large; statement of animal breaking quarantine; written notice to owner; costs incurred by local government

Sec. 10. (a) A law enforcement officer shall impound or destroy an animal found running at large:

(1) during a quarantine ordered under section 2 of this chapter; or

(2) that is the subject of an order of confinement under section 11 of this chapter.

(b) A law enforcement officer or other authorized individual shall impound an animal that is subject to quarantine or confinement under this chapter if a statement is provided to the officer or authorized individual that states that the animal has broken quarantine or confinement. The statement must:

(1) be in writing;

(2) be given under oath;

(3) be signed by at least two (2) individuals; and

(4) include the name and address of the owner or suspected owner of the animal, if known.

(c) When possible, the authorized individual or agency contacted under this section shall give written notice to the owner or suspected owner of the animal upon impounding and before destroying the animal.

(d) All costs incurred by a local government relating to the impoundment of an animal under subsection (b) shall be paid by the owner of the animal.

Back
Top Bottom