All of my hens have stopped laying eggs?

Barredrocker99

Songster
Sep 17, 2020
I have 10 hens, and they’re about 7 months old. I was getting eggs from just about all of them daily, and for the last few days they’ve all just stopped laying. I’ve gotten about four eggs total in the last four days. It’s definitely getting colder here, could that be the reason, or is it something I should be more concerned about?

Many chickens take a break in the winter when the daylight hours are less. Most need about 12 hours of daylight or artificial light to lay over the winter. Even at that many pullets will continue to lay over winter in their first year.

Agree with the top comment...half of my hens are laying and we don't even get too cold here. But yeah the short days are an important variable to consider

I have 10 hens, and they’re about 7 months old. I was getting eggs from just about all of them daily, and for the last few days they’ve all just stopped laying. I’ve gotten about four eggs total in the last four days. It’s definitely getting colder here, could that be the reason, or is it something I might need to be more concerned about?
Do they have a reliable water source throughout the day? Have you noticed any egg shells, or evidence of egg eating? Does any of the flock seem ill?

Laying falls off with light levels. I started seeing the effects several weeks ago (my flock is in my sig, most roughly same age as yours). Ducks stopped entirely. The SLW aren't old enough to lay, and the Brahma are just starting to - but I'm getting just 3-4 eggs per day now, where I was getting 9-10 before my Brahma started.

Breed can have some influence, as some tend to lay during the winter *better* than many others, but I know of no breed that lays steadily in winter w/o artificial light.

Laying falls off with light levels. I started seeing the effects several weeks ago (my flock is in my sig, most roughly same age as yours). Ducks stopped entirely. The SLW aren't old enough to lay, and the Brahma are just starting to - but I'm getting just 3-4 eggs per day now, where I was getting 9-10 before my Brahma started.

Breed can have some influence, as some tend to lay during the winter *better* than many others, but I know of no breed that lays steadily in winter w/o artificial light.
Brahmas are superior winter layers. They lay the majority of their eggs through the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom