Alright, so is this bumblefoot? no open wound.

the other one here @gtaus is posting photo after photo of what it looks like I see non of that but may have hurt the leg itself

I have never had to deal with bumblefoot, so I am not claiming to be an expert. However, the photos I posted all show "blackheads" on the foot of the chicken which are places where the skin was opened and infection took hold. It is my understanding the bumblefoot is the condition where the foot is infected and a typical sign is an enlarged area with the "blackhead" infection, causing pain for the chicken, and we see that as limping.

Of course, limping can be caused by other things like a chicken flying off the perch and landing too hard, for example.

In the photo that @someusername posted, I don't see any sign of a "blackhead". I cannot tell from the photo the OP has posted if the pad of the foot is infected, or it's a normal sized pad for that breed. I would compare the two feet and if there is a big difference in the size of the pad, then maybe treatment should be taken. Because I don't see any signs of an obvious "blackhead", I would first suggest a non-surgical treatment because I would not want to cut open the intact skin and exposing it to infection in the process.

If it becomes obvious that the pad of the foot is infected, by evidence of a "blackhead", or evidence of swelling up with pus, then a surgical remedy could be considered and treated as in the YouTube video I posted, or any of the other videos.

Chickens do have pads on their feet. It is called the metatarsal pad. Again, I would compare the pads on both feet and if there is an obvious difference I would think further consideration is needed. If both feet look about the same, and there is no evidence of "blackheads", then I would take a conservative approach and see if the limping goes away on its own in a few days.

chicken foot.gif

Then why is he limping?????

To answer you directly, limping can be caused by other things like a chicken flying off the perch and landing too hard. Or, it may have been chased by another bird and banged it up on something. Holding a chicken wrong might put some stress on the leg and result in temporary limping. So many things can cause temporary limping.

Please update the thread with any/none treatment you decide to try and what the results were for the chicken. I hope this situation resolves itself in a day or two, but if you have to start a treatment, I would like to know what you tried and if it worked. Thanks.

To answer you directly, limping can be caused by other things like a chicken flying off the perch and landing too hard. Or, it may have been chased by another bird and banged it up on something. Holding a chicken wrong might put some stress on the leg and result in temporary limping. So many things can cause temporary limping.

Please update the thread with any/none treatment you decide to try and what the results were for the chicken. I hope this situation resolves itself in a day or two, but if you have to start a treatment, I would like to know what you tried and if it worked. Thanks.
Note: not a chicken, quail.

No treatment was applied beyond topical antibiotics, and quail seems to be doing fine.

Hello everyone, my Barred Rock hen has been limping on her left leg for a few days now, she will not let me pick her up to look at the bottom of her feet, she’s not though limping bad, should I just wait it out for a few more days or try to put her in my dog crate to look at her feet? She’s eating and drinking very good.. Thank you all Cynthia

should I just wait it out for a few more days or try to put her in my dog crate to look at her feet?

It does not sound like it's much of a problem at the moment. I'd keep an eye on her for a few days to see if the problem resolves itself. If no improvement in a few days, or if it starts to get worse, then I'd check out those feet. Please post pictures if you have any concerns and/or start a new thread of your own for your hen.

It does not sound like it's much of a problem at the moment. I'd keep an eye on her for a few days to see if the problem resolves itself. If no improvement in a few days, or if it starts to get worse, then I'd check out those feet. Please post pictures if you have any concerns and/or start a new thread of your own for your hen.
Thank you so much... will do I’ll post pictures tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom