American Bresse eggs!!!

24 in an incubator designed for 22. I'll discard any duds after candling on day 7 and then things will look normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_202412332.jpg
    IMG_20220916_202412332.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 8
Hatch day was Friday and ended up with 4. FOUR chicks out of 24 eggs. 17 were clear (infertile, zero development at 10 days- I broke each into a dish and found not even a hint of a bullseye) and two had very small embryos about the size of a cowpea. One, which initially was developing apace with the final four, quit at the two-week mark.

Nurture Right 360, calibrated thermometer and hygrometer in addition to the factory units- factory thermometer reads .2*F lower than actual, factory hygrometer reads 4% lower than actual, so both within a whisper of perfect aka cceptable deviation.

I called the guy and asked if he'd had reports of fertility issues, he said no and offered me another dozen. I'll pick them up when I'm close, I guess.

Turns out there's another chicken addict close to my place who raises Bresse and we got to talking. He had a hen who just hatched 16 chicks two days before mine hatched and he offered me "a couple" so I took him up on it. He showed me around his farm- pretty cool place- and then put 3 little nugs in a carrier.

So I have a total of seven from two different sources. I banded the gift ones so I can use a rooster from one batch and hens from the other, IF they have a favorable split.

Just an update of an old thread. The Bresse seem to have a fairly low hatch rate, about 30% success. The duds are either infertile or quit about the 7-10 day mark.

I've had GREAT success with crossing my heritage RIR hens to the Bresse roosters. The offspring are white with a red blush on the back and wings, and are 50/50 for yellow or steel legs. The cockerels are heavy bodies and tall while the hens are heavier than their RIR moms. I've been processing the cockerels at about 16 weeks and they give a pretty uniform carcass of 3 lbs, +/- 3 oz.

It's the best chicken I've ever eaten. The pour-off of the roasting pan is incredibly tasty and about 30% fat. I fry hash browns in the fat and I can't say enough good things about it.

My plans are to cross the steel-legged offspring hens back to the opposite rooster (uncle) for a more conforming appearance, and eat everything with yellow legs.
IMG_20240406_092945076_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240406_092905593.jpg
IMG_20240404_184032117_PORTRAIT~2.jpg
IMG_20240404_184011035_PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Just an update of an old thread. The Bresse seem to have a fairly low hatch rate, about 30% success. The duds are either infertile or quit about the 7-10 day mark.

I've had GREAT success with crossing my heritage RIR hens to the Bresse roosters. The offspring are white with a red blush on the back and wings, and are 50/50 for yellow or steel legs. The cockerels are heavy bodies and tall while the hens are heavier than their RIR moms. I've been processing the cockerels at about 16 weeks and they give a pretty uniform carcass of 3 lbs, +/- 3 oz.

It's the best chicken I've ever eaten. The pour-off of the roasting pan is incredibly tasty and about 30% fat. I fry hash browns in the fat and I can't say enough good things about it.

My plans are to cross the steel-legged offspring hens back to the opposite rooster (uncle) for a more conforming appearance, and eat everything with yellow legs.
View attachment 3793070View attachment 3793071View attachment 3793072View attachment 3793073
Thank you so much for the update!!! Sounds tasty!!!

Back
Top Bottom