Knepper

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2019
My precious male pete passed away. Its been very very hard for me and for his mate. He was a very gentle boy so i worry about getting her another male who may be agressive... she was more of petes protector than the other way around.

Should i get her a duck of the same breed? And should i get her another male or would she be happier with a female? I just want her to be happy... the only adults around here available are muscovy ducks. But from what i read the communicate differently so i feel like she needs another ancona...

My precious male pete passed away. Its been very very hard for me and for his mate. He was a very gentle boy so i worry about getting her another male who may be agressive... she was more of petes protector than the other way around.

Should i get her a duck of the same breed? And should i get her another male or would she be happier with a female? I just want her to be happy... the only adults around here available are muscovy ducks. But from what i read the communicate differently so i feel like she needs another ancona...
u hear anconas are realy sweet!

ide find a female for her she will be happy and you dont need to worry about a mean drake. They can be realy cross thats forsure!

Even someone her own size would make her much happier than being alone! i wouldnt get a muscovie altho they can definitly get along!

@Daphne_loves_mealworms has a mix!

Are the mixed muscovy lmmuch different than the pure bred? I just want someone she can communicate with as she was very talkative with my sweet pete.

Mixed muscovies are moulards, They are infertile, or 98% fertile? anyway if the females lay they lay tiny eggs and alot less eggs, So theres one downside

my moulards spoke Muscovy thats forsure

Mixed muscovies are moulards, They are infertile, or 98% fertile? anyway if the females lay they lay tiny eggs and alot less eggs, So theres one downside

my moulards spoke Muscovy thats forsure
Im not so much concerned about production at this point. Just want them to be happy. Ill do anything to make sure my babies are happy. I found out the ducks this woman has are muscovy mixed with ancona so if she has a female available i may just go with that option in the hopes that she may bond easier

Im not so much concerned about production at this point. Just want them to be happy. Ill do anything to make sure my babies are happy. I found out the ducks this woman has are muscovy mixed with ancona so if she has a female available i may just go with that option in the hopes that she may bond easier
A mule duck as a friend js better than no friend at all! definitly post pics! ive never seen an ancona x muscovie

A mule duck as a friend js better than no friend at all! definitly post pics! ive never seen an ancona x muscovie

Out of curiosity is there a reason to not get a muscovy? Just wondering if there would be any issues. As i said i just want her to be a happy duck again. Here is a photo of the mixes. Still waiting to see if she has females left of the muscovy anconas. Her other mixes are muscovy and orpington

Out of curiosity is there a reason to not get a muscovy? Just wondering if there would be any issues. As i said i just want her to be a happy duck again. Here is a photo of the mixes. Still waiting to see if she has females left of the muscovy anconas. Her other mixes are muscovy and orpington

My white Muscovy and my Rouen bonded really well. Daphne, my Rouen, sometimes feels the need to raise her voice a bit to get her point across (usually when she wants to lead her friend on an adventure, and she’s being ignored), but she’s like that with me also. However, there is no animosity between anyone. My other Muscovy either hangs out with her sister or on her own (currently, she just wants to hang out on her empty nest). Quack translates to trill easily and tail wags are universal. The head bobs are slightly different, but they also are easily translated. Maybe others have had issues with a mix, but I’ve nothing but success (after a botched introduction, that is).

Edited to add: One thing that is different about Muscovies is that they seem to be more broody than ducks that are Mallard derived. My smallest ‘Scovy currently spends 100% of her time on her nest (which is empty) unless I pick her up and distract her with food, water, or a nice bath. She’s got focus!

Last edited:
My white Muscovy and my Rouen bonded really well. Daphne, my Rouen, sometimes feels the need to raise her voice a bit to get her point across (usually when she wants to lead her friend on an adventure, and she’s being ignored), but she’s like that with me also. However, there is no animosity between anyone. My other Muscovy either hangs out with her sister or on her own (currently, she just wants to hang out on her empty nest). Quack translates to trill easily and tail wags are universal. The head bobs are slightly different, but they also are easily translated. Maybe others have had issues with a mix, but I’ve nothing but success (after a botched introduction, that is).

Edited to add: One thing that is different about Muscovies is that they seem to be more broody than ducks that are Mallard derived. My smallest ‘Scovy currently spends 100% of her time on her nest (which is empty) unless I pick her up and distract her with food, water, or a nice bath. She’s got focus!
I got the muscovy orpington mix. Dolores liked her right away. Im still so beyond heartbroken that i lost pete but at least dolores has a friend and is drinking again.

Attachments

• 20190427_184654.jpg
    20190427_184654.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom