Another freakin dog fight thread....gross/graphic pics pg 3&4

I just want to confirm the dosage on the dosage chart, cause it seems like a lot. 5mg per pound of body weight, correct? So a 55 lb dog would need 275 mg? That just seems like a lot. Our other dog is about 100lbs, so he would need almost twice that! I just don't want to poison my dogs, and the vet clinic I called to confirm the dose (of course) told me to come in so they could make some money. She also told me not to give the dog asprin, but I know the ppl here have used it so I'm going to.

God, the female that started the fight, Sasha, looks like one of those dogs off the anti-dogfighting videos. It's so sad! It probably doesn't help that her face is blue from the blu-kote and the betadine is red. Her face is so stained right now!

I don't know what the heck to do with these dogs! I love them both so much, Tuna was our rescued puppy and Sasha was a 2 yr old rescue we picked up during a rainstorm after someone dropped her at a lake. She and Tuna have always had their moments, but NEVER like this! This is worst fight I've ever seen, usually it's just a bunch of air snapping between the dogs and no real wounding.

I'm worried about a puncture wound on Tuna's shoulder and the scrapes and punctures on Sasha's face around her eye. It's all swollen and nasty looking, but Tuna looks almost normal. Her eye itself is intact, looks like she has a few scrapes on the surface but the eye is fine. Looks clear, all that other great stuff. Just swollen bad. I'll post pics if people think they can stand it, cause I want some more opinions as to what to do about treating these types of wounds.

I washed (rather, hubby did, it hurt too much for me to look at) with some dial foaming soap, then rinsed with clean water, sprayed her with saline, rinsed with peroxide, then poured betadine on the wounds. Did the same for Tuna. Tuna's aren't that bad, just the punctures, there are a few spots where the actual skin is missing. I gave them both 2 crushed Bayer low dose 81mg asprin. I guess we'll see what happens. I need antibiotics for them, now, but I don't know where the heck to get them.

you can go to any petstore or even walmart and buy fish pen,fish flox stuff like that,most are in 250mg tablets or caplets,just give them 2 a day for 7-10 days and they should be fine,I didnt see if you said how big the dogs are,doesnt really matter as they will filter out the extra pen they dont need...you could also give injectable cattle pen,I have done that before and works very well,but only once a day and after a couple days they know what you are up to.The problem you are having is because the dominant one hasnt been established,or at least not in her mind,will take some training to get her better,but the problem proabably will not go away on its own..you should look into a good trainer that can help you with dominance issues.Just keep the wounds open to drain,dog bites infect bad and they need to drain,wash daily with an iodine wash

Keep them clean and you can start them on injectable penicillin from the feedstore. It's usually 1mL/10 lbs once daily (under the skin, not in the muscle).
These fights are only going to get a lot worse and more frequent unless y'all begin some extreme obedience training and impart some safety measures, like keeping them separated unless 100% supervised and leashed when they are allowed together so they can be immediately corrected for wrong behavior.
Bickering over who is top-dog is one thing but all out fights like this are not acceptable and I think the female needs to be taught that.
They are both spayed/neutered right?

Last edited:
fish pen? As in penicillin (sp?)? And the stuff for cattle? I don't want to give them anything that requires more than a normal doggie shot, no muscle injections or anything. What is the cattle stuff called? And how much should I use of that?

I got some pics of the damage, but I'm kinda hesitant about posting them. I really want the advice but I don't want any ridicule, cause I do everything I can to take care of these dogs. I just couldn't get them broken up today. It looks so bad, especially Sasha's face. Let me know if anyone thinks I should post the pics, and I think I'll post the ones of Tuna's bite marks....

Quote:
Leashes on all the time! Even when they are in the backyard or wherever. If they are being allowed together, they should be supervised with leashes on, IMO.

Yes, they are both fixed. When we rescued sasha it was obvious she'd had a few litters of puppies, so I don't know if she was used for breeding before she was dumped. We took her to a free spay clinic to have them make sure she was fixed and she is. We were told that the best thing is to have them fixed before they hit sexual maturity, which is what happened for Tuna. He was neutered at 3 months. Tuna's fine, he's not the type of dog to fight. But Sasha has some issues, and she's such a sweet dog to people but not to other dogs.

Any idea how much the cattle stuff costs?

A leash wouldn't have done anything today. They had ahold of each other and wouldn't let go. Tuna let go three times cause my hubby got in there and told him to, but Sasha was yelping through her teeth and wouldn't back up. I don't want to put her down, I love her too much, and they're really good with each other 99.9% of the time. It's that last little bit of time that I'm worried about, and they won't be going near each other anymore. Period. Tuna will be crated when Sasha's out, and vice versa. It's either that or one of them goes, and it'll be Sasha, and I don't want her to die. If she goes to a shelter she'll die.

Last edited:
what's it called, though? Just cattle penicillin? You already answered how to give it. How long do I give it for? A week? A few days?
Penicillin is an antibiotic, right? (sorry, blonde moment) So it'll take care of the risk of infection?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom