Another fun & productive CT chicken gathering! NO processing pics!

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Henrietta23, Sep 21, 2008.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Careful with the quail. They can fly. Drum found out yesterday. We now have wild
    quail in our woods. [​IMG]

2. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    What do you do with quail?

3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Songster

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Will they come back for food? Should I call the authorities on you? [​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Quail make great pets and they are an absolute delicacy. Think of a tastier and smaller
    cornish hen. A processed Cortunix quail is maybe 8 oz but it by far the best bird meat
    I have eaten.

Plus they only take 8 weeks to get to full size, don't eat much, don't really smell, don't
    make noise, & don't take much space.

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Drum tells me it was a male but he may just be covering himself. They should survive
    in the wild, especially here where bird seed and chicken feed is plentiful all year long.
    I tried to find it but it's long gone. You can call the authorities but I'll just claim insanity
    and they won't argue that.

6. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    is it hard to process a bird that small? delicacy aside, that sounds like the ideal single serving portion. i'm the only meat eater in my family. are they hard to raise? wheels spinning...

7. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Crowing

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Actually no, when we processed the quail on Sunday it was much easier then a chicken. Just snip the head off, pluck and PC literally pulled all the guts out with one finger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: