Any DIY Brooder projects ideas?

Terri E

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Onalaska, Tx
Does anyone one have any DIY Brooder projects, possibly with plans, that works great with hatchling of 10+?
I know I can just build a box with an opening, top cover with hard wired. However, I'm looking to do something extra just with a more secure top and viewing. Plastic is ok for lesser chicks of 5 but these will be mixture of ducklings and chicks.
Any insights is very much appreciated.

I am a big proponent of broody hens. My silkies are great at it.

Build them a small pen, separate from everyone else. Give her food and water, and let nature do the rest.
Nature keeps the temp perfect, the humidity perfect, is the perfect brooder while they grow, and protects the kids from the bigger chickens so there is never a time where you have to "introduce" the "new" chickens to the flock.

Dad used his to hatch ducks. He loves to tell this story.
He hatched out 2-3 ducklings with his broody bantam, and the first time the ducklings went to the pond they jumped in. The broody mom didn't like this and started running up and down the bank of the pond clucking at them to come back. They just swam around, as happy as a pig in slop.
The momma chicken was NOT happy. But its really funny.

I brood in a grow out coop. Is your coop big enough that you could section off a space for the chicks? I use MHP style brooder, and will never go back to a heat lamp again. As for the brooder BOX, if you have a predator safe area, you could simply use an appliance box, and cover it over with bird netting or chicken wire.

The other option is to build a chicken tractor that will serve as both a brooder AND a tractor. My first brooder was a 3 x 6' tractor. I still use it as a tractor!!

I had no other
I brood in a grow out coop. Is your coop big enough that you could section off a space for the chicks? I use MHP style brooder, and will never go back to a heat lamp again. As for the brooder BOX, if you have a predator safe area, you could simply use an appliance box, and cover it over with bird netting or chicken wire.

The other option is to build a chicken tractor that will serve as both a brooder AND a tractor. My first brooder was a 3 x 6' tractor. I still use it as a tractor!!

choice but made a temp brooder today.
What is MHP style brooder? Do you a picture of your tractor? I had attempted to upload some pics of my brooder that I made. But based on my location, it's choppy connection.

Back
Top Bottom