Anyone want to guess when my three girls will lay?

beachylivin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hi all!

So, Ive got three lovely ladies- 1 black sex link (Cordelia), 1 buff orp (who we call buff) and a Silkie/Araucana (Nellie aka nervous nellie) cross who is super petite. The buff is about 25-26 weeks and the other two are about 24-25 weeks, none of them are laying yet.

I live in rural eastern San diego where it's been between 29-32 at night. Today and yesterday have been very warm though! Not sure if is cold enough to push their first eggs until late winter/spring?
On another, more exciting note, Cordelia, my sex link has been submissive squatting for 3 days now and is very vocal! Mostly loud groaning, no clucking. Although they have all clucked once or twice due to planes flying overhead. She is very red in the face.
My buff is huge but is still without that deep red face, and she doesn't squat yet. My Araucana Silkie cross looks like she isn't getting the memo- she's very small and hasn't changed much in appearance over the last two months.

I'm hoping my Cordelia lays within the next couple weeks. All three girls are free ranging in the yard from sun up to sun down. These are my first girls- when one of them lays, will she willingly go into the coop on her own without her sisters to lay, while the others do their thing? Or is it more likely she will lay somewhere in the yard while they are lounging together?

I agree that the SL looks really close. I wouldn't be surprised if she lays her first within the week. Most mature hens want the privacy of an empty coop and will make the trek to return to it to lay. Young pullets who knows. Sometimes they just squat and lay while they are walking around. You can help her lay in the nesting boxes by leaving them up until noon. I've had first time pullets start to lay in below 0 temps so your lows are a walk in the park and the breeds you have do well in cold temps,

The SL is really close to laying, based on redness of comb/wattles and squatting behavior. My pullets typically lay their 1st egg within 7 to 10 days of first squatting. It's very cold in Pennsylvania right now, and my 27 to 28 week old pullets are laying, so I'm confident your pullets will also be laying very soon.

Sometimes I keep pullets cooped up until mid-morning to increase the likelihood of them using nest boxes rather than random places in the yard. After they learn where to lay, I let them free-range again for the whole day.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I get some eggs soon from my SL! Cannot wait! I was getting a little discouraged considering none of them are laying yet. I have been keeping them in the coop a little later each morning, I will continue to make sure I do that. Thank you!

It's quite common for new layers to lay soft-shell or shell-less eggs and these can get devoured before we even get a chance to see them so be on the lookout for yolk-stained bedding/litter or fragments of what could be shells. It can take a little while for their reproductive systems to adjust and start producing regularly/consistently but rest assured your wait is nearly over.

My oh my I am so confused! I got a second egg this morning... Thinking the first was from my sex link (she squats and is super red), turns out it is my little nervous Nellie that doesn't squat and doesn't look mature and didn't show any signs! Wow am I surprised!

I wonder what my SL is waiting for!?!

Back
Top Bottom