Which ever ones people use, different breeders can use different base genes. Most people use silver base for lavender, and always for silver duckwing if bred properly. For better color I think most use silver base for blue and splashes as well.

Which ever ones people use, different breeders can use different base genes. Most people use silver base for lavender, and always for silver duckwing if bred properly. For better color I think most use silver base for blue and splashes as well.
I am thinking of crossing welsummer roosters over araucana hens having the silver gene to create Red sex linked olive eggers.

Hi Thomas, I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is an excerpt from our Araucana bible - "Rings In Their Ears":
20181206_083839.jpg

I don't know the genetics behind Welsummers, but if its similar to black breasted red I can copy the techniques suggested in this book for you. According to this book, in addition to the obvious silver and silver duckwing, golden duckwing, extended black and black mottled carry the silver gene. As for the crested araucanas, I am clueless about that strain, but for the rumpless araucana in lavender the book says pretty much what ChickenLeg said.

Hi Thomas, I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is an excerpt from our Araucana bible - "Rings In Their Ears":
View attachment 1608937
I don't know the genetics behind Welsummers, but if its similar to black breasted red I can copy the techniques suggested in this book for you. According to this book, in addition to the obvious silver and silver duckwing, golden duckwing, extended black and black mottled carry the silver gene. As for the crested araucanas, I am clueless about that strain, but for the rumpless araucana in lavender the book says pretty much what ChickenLeg said.
The problem is that the best and most secure choice for RSL crosses is the light columbian color pattern for the maternal stock.
And I think that this color is not available in the araucana breed.

@Thomas Lamprogiorgos the president of the American Araucana Club is working on a columbian project. He had some culls available a few months back. For some reason I am thinking you are outside of the U.S. though.... if I'm wrong about that let me know and I will get you his contact information. He may have some he can ship you if you are in the states.

Back
Top Bottom