Are gamefowl mean?

My game rooster is the best chicken I've ever owned.

He takes excellent care of his girls, and only get aggressive to the point where he shows that he is top roo (for instance, he won't let the other roos mate in front of him, will chase them off) but he never goes on attack - unless he is attacked first. He also always backs off as soon as the other roo complies - never has fought to draw blood.

worst fight he ever got into the other roo outwighed him by a good 6 pounds, and the other roo started the fight and wouldn't back down.

The other roo no longer lives here. He was a good roo - just he was very territorial and didn't want any other roos near his girls at all. George (game roo) will tolerate anyone and any other rooster, as long they recognize him as top roo.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

My game rooster is the best chicken I've ever owned.

He takes excellent care of his girls, and only get aggressive to the point where he shows that he is top roo (for instance, he won't let the other roos mate in front of him, will chase them off) but he never goes on attack - unless he is attacked first. He also always backs off as soon as the other roo complies - never has fought to draw blood.

worst fight he ever got into the other roo outwighed him by a good 6 pounds, and the other roo started the fight and wouldn't back down.

The other roo no longer lives here. He was a good roo - just he was very territorial and didn't want any other roos near his girls at all. George (game roo) will tolerate anyone and any other rooster, as long they recognize him as top roo.

meri

Sounds like Charlie with dad's RIR roo, that RIR never knew what hit him!
lau.gif

Quote:
Sounds like Charlie with dad's RIR roo, that RIR never knew what hit him!
lau.gif

yeah, the other roo George fought was Mr. Speckles
lau.gif
shoulda seen little George take him on.

For those who don't know, Mr. Speckles was a delaware and weighed a good 12 pounds - George, while being a LF game, is still small and weighs maybe 6 pounds.

meri

Quote:
A little but not extreme, just twist back and forth with the fingers gently and they will break free. They will scab over in a day, I put neosporin on them just to be on the safe side after they stopped bleeding.

Quote:
George lost a spur accidently, it bled pretty badly - but if you do it yourself, you can put "blood stop" on it and it'll help.

I have three game mix hens, they all have spurs, too. One hen (the oldest one) has a one inch spur on one side, the other side she has a smaller spur - maybe 1/4 inch.

they are VERY broody, and usually good mothers. Mine go all over the yard, though, and they drag the babies with them - whether it is rainy season or not - so I have to watch them if the weather is bad.

meri

Quote:
If they are small you don't need to worry, the most they could do is scratch with them. My hens have 1 inch long spurs so they can inflict some pain and put the eye out of a dog.

Back
Top Bottom