Are they KC? Male or Female?

Pics

afwifey

Songster
May 12, 2018
South Carolina
Our new ducklings are almost fully feathered and I’m feeling fairly sure they are khaki Campbells but I’m unsure if they are male or female. Maybe I need to wait a bit longer? One is quacking and one is still chirping. Last picture is them a few weeks ago. Did you clip flight feathers? They have a large double-fenced enclosure and we are building a night-time safe house for them. Is that the best way to protect them- we live in a neighborhood and have dogs? Thanks!!!
image.jpg
7A559CB6-977F-46A0-A0FE-792E038AB2A6.jpeg
56B84C90-1B08-462D-844C-ADE30A1E368C.jpeg

Attachments

• E654C647-EF28-4247-8E78-F8451C659280.jpeg
    E654C647-EF28-4247-8E78-F8451C659280.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 5A925664-AF34-4384-A295-DCF43CA5A5B4.jpeg
    5A925664-AF34-4384-A295-DCF43CA5A5B4.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 5
  • B10AB018-355E-4BBD-966C-13B942B0ACD0.jpeg
    B10AB018-355E-4BBD-966C-13B942B0ACD0.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Awe. They certainly look to be KCs to me. Since they are the same age, if one is quacking, I'd expect the voice on the other to become it's adult voice too. If they still sound different from each other in another week or two, you probably have one male and one female. If they are both quacking, they are both female. For now, their coloring is the same, so that's a good sign, however, I don't think the males get any distinctive coloration (or their drake feather) until a bit older... hmm...

They are cute!!! I am going to get my ducklings out soon, and I will most likely not cut there feathers. KC are smaller and can fly so I would most definitely cut there feathers. You probably have a male and a female. I have 3 females and 1 male. My females are quacking and the male is just peeping. Mine are 5 weeks old. How old are yours?

Awe. They certainly look to be KCs to me. Since they are the same age, if one is quacking, I'd expect the voice on the other to become it's adult voice too. If they still sound different from each other in another week or two, you probably have one male and one female. If they are both quacking, they are both female. For now, their coloring is the same, so that's a good sign, however, I don't think the males get any distinctive coloration (or their drake feather) until a bit older... hmm...
Yeah, after they molt their juvenile feathers, they get the male specific feathers. The khaki Campbell Drake I had was so handsome when he got his in. I have a black Drake that got a shimmery green head and some wing feathers.

They are cute!!! I am going to get my ducklings out soon, and I will most likely not cut there feathers. KC are smaller and can fly so I would most definitely cut there feathers. You probably have a male and a female. I have 3 females and 1 male. My females are quacking and the male is just peeping. Mine are 5 weeks old. How old are yours?
Aww! Mine are 5 weeks too!!

Our new ducklings are almost fully feathered and I’m feeling fairly sure they are khaki Campbells but I’m unsure if they are male or female. Maybe I need to wait a bit longer? One is quacking and one is still chirping. Last picture is them a few weeks ago. Did you clip flight feathers? They have a large double-fenced enclosure and we are building a night-time safe house for them. Is that the best way to protect them- we live in a neighborhood and have dogs? Thanks!!!View attachment 1384979View attachment 1384895 View attachment 1384851
They aren't KFC for sure ......:lol:

View attachment 1385283 You should be able to tell gender when the feathers above the tail are in. Males have darker, solid feathers in Khakis and the girls have two toned feathers, as in the picture.
I have five Khakis, only one has ever had her feathers clipped. They all can fly a few feet (2 or 3) off the ground for a few yards. She was better at it though and managed to fly over our six foot privacy fence. Fortunately, the neighbors dog was in their house at the time, but I clipped her wings to prevent it from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom