Draeje

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2017
Hey everyone, we've got 3 little turkeys here (don't remember the breed, got them at rural king) we've had them for about 4-5 weeks and they were about 1-2 weeks old when we got them. We've never raised turkeys and I'm not sure if they're ready to go outside into the permanent coop. The coop is a 6x10. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 20171012_133119.jpg
    20171012_133119.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20171012_133110.jpg
    20171012_133110.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171012_135452.jpg
    20171012_135452.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
They are ready at anytime. Is your coop ready? Are they still getting extra heat?
The coop is ready, they've been under a red 250 watt heat lamp since we got them because the guy told us the red light keeps them calmer. They look like they'd be ok but I read on here that they'd die if put outside less than 8 or 9 weeks. I just don't want them to die on me if I put them out there.

Hey everyone, we've got 3 little turkeys here (don't remember the breed, got them at rural king) we've had them for about 4-5 weeks and they were about 1-2 weeks old when we got them. We've never raised turkeys and I'm not sure if they're ready to go outside into the permanent coop. The coop is a 6x10. Thanks in advance :)

They're not ready just yet. But the cage is Way too small for them. Is there another cage you could put them in that's bigger? Also you might have broad breasted whites which are meat birds so you might want to watch what they'ye eating. I'd keep them under the heat lamp for a couple more weeks but raise the heat lamp every week so they arent too hot in there.

They're not ready just yet. But the cage is Way too small for them. Is there another cage you could put them in that's bigger? Also you might have broad breasted whites which are meat birds so you might want to watch what they'ye eating. I'd keep them under the heat lamp for a couple more weeks but raise the heat lamp every week so they arent too hot in there.
We bought 120+ chicks and 12 ducks when we got these so the housing was limited, we've moved the chicks and ducks so I'm about to move these guys to a bigger place until they can go out to the big coop. Just wanted to see if I could move them out or not. I'm not too worried about the breed since I'm raising these for food. I'll be ordering some normal bronze come springish to breed and raise them. I'll move the lamp some too, it's all a learning experience with turkeys for me right now lol

You will need to either wait and wean them off the heat or move the heat with them. I put mine out at 8 weeks. Acclimating them is important. Turkey poults will not handle the change well, so I would start by putting them out there for the day than return them to their brooder at night while working on weaning them off the heat. They freak out for new experiences. Even turning off the heat lamp can cause them to get goofy if they aren't used to it. Mine stood in a huddle for 2 night the first time I moved them to a bigger brooder.

You will need to either wait and wean them off the heat or move the heat with them. I put mine out at 8 weeks. Acclimating them is important. Turkey poults will not handle the change well, so I would start by putting them out there for the day than return them to their brooder at night while working on weaning them off the heat. They freak out for new experiences. Even turning off the heat lamp can cause them to get goofy if they aren't used to it. Mine stood in a huddle for 2 night the first time I moved them to a bigger brooder.
Sorry for the slow response, been at the ER with my Fiancé all day, it gets to about 40°F here at night right now, but it gets about 70-90 during the course of the days. I'm outside working all day long so i think I'm going to try and put them in the big coop during the warmth of the day so I can keep an eye on them and so they can get some exercise. I'd be bringing them back in before it drops much, do you think it'd help or hurt?

That's exactly what I would do. It will give them a few weeks to adjust before they are left out there permanently. Hopefully your fiance is okay.

Back
Top Bottom