Ok, here's my update...Had to wait a looong time for the Bielefelders!

Sapphire Gems: 17 weeks and 20 weeks
Rhode Island Reds: 17 weeks and 19 weeks
Easter Egger: 18 weeks
Barred Rocks: 20 weeks
Leghorn: 22 weeks
(seems very late--later than Sapphire Gem, EE, RIR!!)
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte: 24 weeks
Bielefelder: 27 weeks

The Bielefelder egg (on the left) is a different brown hue than my others, kind of taupe/mauve. It also was not tiny....it was about the same size as pullets who have been laying one-two months.

20211014_104753.jpg

Last edited:
Red sexlinks: 16-20wks
Brahmas: usually I hatch them in february-april and they start laying in mid-january. I had one who began at about 28wks old (hatched in april and started in november)
Australorp: about 20wks old
I recently got two pairs of bantam cochins, they're about 16wks old. One of the two females has a very red comb, we'll see when will they begin
Good to know, I just got two pullets that are 6 and seven weeks. Looking forward to July ish?

That egg is beautiful, I can't wait. I have three Golden Cuckoo Marans 21 weeks no eggs. I still am concerned though.
Update...still no eggs. I am in a integration process and wondered if that was the reason for no laying. I rearranged the run to house the prefab coop and attached the prefab tiny run tonight. With the new girls next door as they have been see but no touch and a week of roaming the yard together. I can understand if this sets them back. I have yet another integration to do. eeek I will start it this weekend. The weather is supposed to me nicer next week temps at night will not be at or below freezing. I think the sooner they all get together before too long the 23 weekers can settle and do the laying. This is what keeps me up at night.

Update...still no eggs. I am in a integration process and wondered if that was the reason for no laying. I rearranged the run to house the prefab coop and attached the prefab tiny run tonight. With the new girls next door as they have been see but no touch and a week of roaming the yard together. I can understand if this sets them back. I have yet another integration to do. eeek I will start it this weekend. The weather is supposed to me nicer next week temps at night will not be at or below freezing. I think the sooner they all get together before too long the 23 weekers can settle and do the laying. This is what keeps me up at night.
Not unusual for birds to not start by 23 weeks, and not unusual for maturing young birds at this time of year to not start laying at all until days start lengthening again, due to lack of daylight. Adding birds can also be stressful for them and any stressor can stop laying.

My 6 GLWā€™s girls were born April 29 and only one of them is laying. One egg a day for the past 2 weeks! Maybe the other 5 will wait until spring time? Thats ok by me. I just wonderā€¦.is there a chance they may NeVER lay? Is that such a thing?? šŸ˜³šŸ˜¬šŸ¤ŖšŸ“ā¤ļø

My 6 GLWā€™s girls were born April 29 and only one of them is laying. One egg a day for the past 2 weeks! Maybe the other 5 will wait until spring time? Thats ok by me. I just wonderā€¦.is there a chance they may NeVER lay? Is that such a thing?? šŸ˜³šŸ˜¬šŸ¤ŖšŸ“ā¤ļø
It's possible, but the chances of 5 birds all being duds is pretty low, unless they came from some suspect stock where the breeder was carelessly interbreeding for several generations and that somehow affected laying rate.

Lots of my birds had a late start on laying, as I get my chicks in May so by the time they're ready to start, days are shortening and then it becomes something of a crapshoot as to when they'll actually start up.

Back
Top Bottom