Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

500 posts since I was last on.

I have a sick chick. Noticed fowl pox on two chicks and one hen in the last week. Mozzies are bad as usual. This little one got wet in the rain last night. I thought she was dead but she moved when I picked her up to dispose of her. I am trying to get her warm and dry while I type this. Not sure if pox has turned wet. Never had wet pox before. I have polyaid and and triple C on hand. Any suggestions appreciated. She is starting to breath better. Don't panic when you see her - she is a naked neck.

500 posts since I was last on.

I have a sick chick. Noticed fowl pox on two chicks and one hen in the last week. Mozzies are bad as usual. This little one got wet in the rain last night. I thought she was dead but she moved when I picked her up to dispose of her. I am trying to get her warm and dry while I type this. Not sure if pox has turned wet. Never had wet pox before. I have polyaid and and triple C on hand. Any suggestions appreciated. She is starting to breath better. Don't panic when you see her - she is a naked neck.

Hey MyHaven good to see you again!

Aaaaw, poor little thing. Sorry, I do not have any experience with fowl pox but do hope that you can get her sorted out quickly.

Hey MyHaven good to see you again!

Aaaaw, poor little thing.  Sorry, I do not have any experience with fowl pox but do hope that you can get her sorted out quickly.

I've had dry pox once before being in a mosquito invested environment. I've never had a problem with it though. Poor little thing seems to be working hard to breath - like a fighter.

Thanks

Last edited:
Howdy folks
frow.gif

Worked on site yesterday; the air conditioning was nice
wink.png

mooandmcgee and Chook Newby keeping your broody away from the coop for a couple of days could work and I definitely do that on the weekends. However, if she is not broken in the two days and does manage to spend some time on a nest after that, she will most likely revert back to full on broody.

Aaaaw sjturner79 your junior explorers are adorable! As are Shadows of Grey and Silkie Cuddles.

So, after 11 eggs and 26 days Cilla is hunkered down in the nest box once again .... GodCilla here we come
wink.png

Having accused her of being broody in the past and then finding out she was just laying I am giving her the benefit of the doubt today. However, I have seen her usual broody warning signs and do not think I am mistaken. With a predicted maximum of 36C today and the fact that the girls are free ranging, I live in hope that she decides outside in the garden is the best place to be, but not holding out much hope.

It looks like this afternoon I will be dragging the broody breaker out of the shed [again] and into it she will go tomorrow. Cilla knows the drill
wink.png
I kinda have a chuckle when she goes into the breaker and picture Cool Hand Cilla with Dusty throwing her a little baseball and mitt
lau.gif

PS. mooandmcgee and Chook Newby I had a look back on the chookie/egg spreadsheet and thought you might be interested in these and how quickly they can be broken.

Cilla went broody on the 10th of September and was broken on the 14th.
Again on the 10th of October and broken on the 13th.
Blondie went broody on the 26th of September and was broken on the 1st of October.

Edited to Add: Last broody season Cilla went broody 4 times, Blondie 2 times and KiKi 4 times. For me, having a broody breaker is a must
wink.png

Noooooooo! I have 2 broodies now!!!!!!!
Sybil has 'turned'
he.gif
... but as Miss Polly is still broody, Sybil can not really get in the copp to nest. She also has to roost at night as I dont think Polly will let her nest on the floor. Perhaps this is a good thing for Sybil?? What a night - Trump as President and 2 broody chickens
barnie.gif

Noooooooo! I have 2 broodies now!!!!!!!
Sybil has 'turned'
he.gif
... but as Miss Polly is still broody, Sybil can not really get in the copp to nest. She also has to roost at night as I dont think Polly will let her nest on the floor. Perhaps this is a good thing for Sybil?? What a night - Trump as President and 2 broody chickens
barnie.gif

Tee hee Chook Newby oh yeah, we might have forgotten to mention, broodiness is contagious
wink.png

Cilla did break Blondie for me one time. Blondie was just thinking about going broody and was camping out in the nest box when Cilla also decided to go broody; Cilla kicked her out and Blondie could not get within coooee of a nest box so she gave up
wink.png

Tee hee Chook Newby oh yeah, we might have forgotten to mention, broodiness is contagious
wink.png

Cilla did break Blondie for me one time. Blondie was just thinking about going broody and was camping out in the nest box when Cilla also decided to go broody; Cilla kicked her out and Blondie could not get within coooee of a nest box so she gave up
wink.png

That's what I'm hoping will happen with Sybil. She stood outside the entrance to the coop all puffed up, rocking back and forwards last night waiting for Polly to move her butt out, but alas, Polly wouldnt budge! Sybil gave up and moved on LOL! Fingers crosses she gets over it! Still dealing with Polly though. It may be time for broody goal!

Will their tummy feathers grow back?

Sybil waiting for Polly to exit the coop lol

That's what I'm hoping will happen with Sybil. She stood outside the entrance to the coop all puffed up, rocking back and forwards last night waiting for Polly to move her butt out, but alas, Polly wouldnt budge! Sybil gave up and moved on LOL! Fingers crosses she gets over it! Still dealing with Polly though. It may be time for broody goal!

Will their tummy feathers grow back?

Sybil waiting for Polly to exit the coop lol

LOL .. she is a cutie!

I find with my gals, if I catch them early enough they do not seem to pull so many feathers. But, yeah, if I let them have a hatch, their feathers grow back.

I may have prematurely been casting aspersions on Cilla's character. She has, in fact, laid an egg and is now wandering around the garden with the flock. At least now if I do find her on the nest box any time today [which I think is still a possibility] she is definitely not laying an egg
wink.png

Last edited:
I wanted to post that my mealworm farm is finally progressing, I have baby mealworms! About half a centimetre long, and very tiny, but I'm glad the lifecycle has completed fully and is continuing on. I was worried for a while that the beetles weren't doing their thing. It's been interesting though watching the whole process of transformation. Only downsides are they do eat a bit, and the rolled oats are a now little stinky, but I need to wait for the worms to get bigger before changing the substrate. Still, I'll have a good supply of their favorite worms on-hand soon for the girls. They love the live ones best, no contest.

I wanted to post that my mealworm farm is finally progressing, I have baby mealworms! About half a centimetre long, and very tiny, but I'm glad the lifecycle has completed fully and is continuing on. I was worried for a while that the beetles weren't doing their thing. It's been interesting though watching the whole process of transformation. Only downsides are they do eat a bit, and the rolled oats are a now little stinky, but I need to wait for the worms to get bigger before changing the substrate. Still, I'll have a good supply of their favorite worms on-hand soon for the girls. They love the live ones best, no contest.

COOL!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom