Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

The little one died a couple of hours later.

Aaaw MyHaven I am so sorry to hear that
sad.png
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear that. There probably wasn't much you could do anyway. Fowl pox is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. It will run its course and some birds are more severely affected than others. Keep an eye on the others and quarantine anyone that shows symptoms.

Thank Fancy, two chicks have it and they are separated. That's how the poor sweet thing got wet. I didn't realise where I'd put them out of the heat was right near an over flow from the gutter. So water splashed into their bedding.

I did give it antibiotics incase it had a secondary infection and polyaid plus incase it needed the boost. Like you say, I couldn't do much. It responded so well to the heat and supplement I was hopeful she'd make it.

I do hope it is fowl pox. I can't think what else it could be. I've never had naked necks with it before and they have scabs on their necks and heads. What do you (or anyone else) think?

I just counted all my chocks.....all 51 of them!

11 Lil' pullets i hatched in the incubator. They are so big now
jumpy.gif
Can't wait for a show!

Also I have found some Phoenix! But all my pens are full (the struggle...)
sad.png
I am buying an old aviary to fix up on the weekend for when I get them!

Hot day last weekend. My mix leghorn flock, with Osta the rooster!

My Haven ~

So sorry to hear that your little hen did not survive. RIP

I know nothing of pox in chickens except what I have read. This might help a little - http://chickenheavenonearth.weebly.com/fowl-pox-symptoms--treatments-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

As Fancy has already told you, it is a virus. And they get itchy, and/or painful scabs similar to what humans get, ( but it is nothing to do with the human variety ). And humans cannot catch it.

Mosquitos are the main problem - passing it from bird to bird initially.

There is a further link in the link above, that shows the difference between wet and dry fowl pox. The wet kind causes respiratory distress --- but will leave you to have a good look at it. The above link begins with 'Avian flu' ... but scrolling a little further, is mostly to do with fowl pox.

Do so hope your other two chickens survive it well.

Annie .....

Last edited:
I just counted all my chocks.....all 51 of them!

11 Lil' pullets i hatched in the incubator. They are so big now
jumpy.gif
Can't wait for a show!

Also I have found some Phoenix! But all my pens are full (the struggle...)
sad.png
I am buying an old aviary to fix up on the weekend for when I get them!

Hot day last weekend. My mix leghorn flock, with Osta the rooster!

My, he is a very handsome boy! And popular with the ladies, by the looks of things.

In Broody News! Flower has been cured! It didn't take much, two days of keeping her out of the coop and just free ranging with the others and blocking the nests at night. Neither of the other two girls turned and so I am very grateful for that.
@Chook Newby how are your ladies going?

Thank Fancy, two chicks have it and they are separated. That's how the poor sweet thing got wet. I didn't realise where I'd put them out of the heat was right near an over flow from the gutter. So water splashed into their bedding.

I did give it antibiotics incase it had a secondary infection and polyaid plus incase it needed the boost. Like you say, I couldn't do much. It responded so well to the heat and supplement I was hopeful she'd make it.

I do hope it is fowl pox. I can't think what else it could be. I've never had naked necks with it before and they have scabs on their necks and heads. What do you (or anyone else) think?

They don't look like your typical fowl pox lesions. What age are these birds. ?

Back
Top Bottom